Medical Manager, JapanLocation Tokyo, Japan Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This role has Medical Manager and Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) responsibilities. The Medical Manager, Japan is part of the APAC Medical Sciences team within the APAC Medical Affairs organisation. The overall purpose of Biomarin Medical Affairs is to drive Biomarin’s scientific agenda, through strategic medical plans and programs, to enhance patients’ lives through appropriate evidence-based use of our medicines in order optimise patient health outcomes in real-world integrated clinical care.
Working under the direction of the Country Medical Director, Japan, the Medical Manager, Japan is a key interface between Japanese Health Care Professionals, patients and Biomarin Medical Affairs. The primary focus of the role is to exchange with HCPs and patient organisations to enhance Biomarin’s insights and understanding of the healthcare system, patient care pathways and medical needs in Japan for their assigned disease area/s and to inform the translation of these insights and understanding into strategic medical plans and programs in collaboration with the Country Medical Director, Japan and the APAC Regional Medical Lead and Regional Brand Team/s. This position is a key conduit in providing medical information through scientific exchange in a fair-balanced manner and provision of clinical/scientific support for cross-functional stakeholders.
Success in the role will be heavily dependent on developing and enhancing professional relationships with medical thought leaders. As such, the expectation is that the Medical Manager, Japan will spend a substantial amount of time in the field developing relationships and exchanging with key health care professionals according to a strategic impact focused schedule and plan.
This position will be required to provide operational support for development and execution of the Medical Affairs plans and programs and may also be required to provide support for clinical programs (including but not limited to post-marketing studies and external independent research requests), educational initiatives, regulatory and reimbursement activities.
- Proactively identify, develop and maintain relationships with key HCPs and opinion leaders in Japan
- Collaborate with the Medical Director, Japan to develop and execute an objective driven Key Opinion Leader visit plan and schedule aligned with the strategic medical plan objectives and activities
- Proactively exchange with HCPs and patient organisations to generate and gather insights and understanding of the patient care pathways and medical needs in Japan for their assigned disease area/s
- In collaboration with the Medical Director, Japan and the applicable APAC Regional Medical Lead/s to inform the translation of the insights and understanding into strategic medical plans and programs in alignment with the Regional Brand Team/s.
- Provide medical and scientific information to external medical specialists and healthcare professionals, in collaboration with Global Medical Information
- Coordinate and/or support medical scientific and educational events, advisory boards and initiatives in Japan according to the medical plans and in collaboration with the Japan and APAC Medical Affairs
- Deliver scientific presentations as needed
- Assist Japan and APAC Medical Affairs in relation to external research and publication requests
- Support various patient advocacy, regulatory and reimbursement activities as necessary
- Ensure that all interactions and activities comply with BioMarin’s business guidance, policies, and SOPs
- A medical degree or tertiary qualification in a medical or allied medical or related scientific discipline is required (min. masters or higher degree preferred)
- Native Japanese with fluency in English language is required
- At least 3 years of prior working experience in medical affairs in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry is required
- Experience in clinical research
- Experience in a field-based medical affairs/MSL role is a plus
- Experience within rare diseases is a plus
- Ability to interpret and communicate scientific research, data and information
- Strategic thinking
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills, problem solving and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative team environment
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.