Accounting Manager, JapanLocation Tokyo, Japan Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Accounting Manager Japan is an individual contributor responsible for ensuring adequate financial control and support of BioMarin’s operations in Japan. Accounting Manager Japan reports to Sr. Director Finance Asia-Pacific in Hong Kong Regional Office. This position is supported by outsourced accounting and service operations (Deloitte and Tohmatsu Tax) in Japan as well as BioMarin’s regional finance, corporate accounting, tax, FP&A and treasury teams. He/She will be assisting in internal control re-enforcement, accounting operations, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, Concur administration, local banking, corporate credit card administration, Travel/BCD coordination, LRP, budgeting, monthly forecasts, financial reporting, management reporting and statutory reporting in Japan. Ad-hoc supports may be needed to help out regional activities.
- Ensure operations and transactions in Japan are in compliance with BioMarin’s financial and management control policies, including monitoring relevant processes, record keeping and reporting. Related corporate policies include: travel and entertainment policy, financial authority policy, procurement/contract policies, FCPA and anti-bribery/anti-kickback policies, and policies associated with compassionate use and contributions and sponsorships.
- Work with Japan commercial management to collect data relating to expenses and capital requirements for annual budget/LRP and quarterly forecast.
- Facilitate in preparing periodic management level reports and analyses to support the Japan and regional management.
- Assist in supervising the business-to-business relationships related to finance and control in the region, including accounting services, accounts payable, payroll, expense reimbursement, banking, and corporate credit card administration and reconciliations.
- Review procedures and operation controls as well as provide insights to improve internal control and efficiency.
- Work with Tohmatsu tax and regional finance team to liaise and review Japan tax returns and statutory filings.
- Monitor and manage month end closing by working closely with regional and Japan team members as well as local accounting service providers.
- Collaborate with corporate peers in finance matters and projects as well as process improvement.
- Initiate monthly financial reviews with local accounting service providers and regional accounting team.
- Monitor Oracle OTC and P2P transactions as well as related accounting entries including AR/AP/CT/Inventories.
- Reconcile monthly local books and Oracle.
- Cash projections for Japan bank accounts including Citibank JPY account in London and local account with Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ.
- Manage office petty cash.
- Support payments relating to product importation into Japan such as consumption tax and custom clearance fees.
- Act as Concur administrator for Japan and perform/document periodic T&E reviews according to criteria set by regional finance.
- 15-20% time, if possible, extends to regional support.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting.
- Chartered Accountant / Certified Public Accountant certification required.
- Must have working reading, writing and speaking proficiency with both English and Japanese language.
- State both the minimum and the preferred number of years of relevant
- experience, and describe the essential functions of the job.
- 8+ years of total working experience, including 3 years at public accounting firm/audit experience.