Sr Scientist, Mass Spectrometry, Center of TechnologyLocation San Rafael, California Apply
The Center of Technology (CoTe) is a new, centralized laboratory built around platform technologies and made available to scientists and physicians across Worldwide Research and Development (WWRD) of BioMarin. The Mass Spectrometry (MS) Core withinthe CoTe provides collaboration, expert advice, service, training, and open access to state-of-the-art MS technologies to the entire scientific community of WWRD.Our lab contains 16 mass spectrometers, including Orbitraps, QQQs, Q-Traps, Q-TOFs (ESI + MALDI), and GC-MS.
We are searching for a highly-motivated and experienced mass spectrometristto develop and implement analytical strategies and workflows that will acceleratedrug discovery and development at BioMarin.This position offers a unique career opportunity to work on the entire spectrum of a product lifecycle, from early drug discovery and non-clinical work through all stages of clinical development, including post-marketing work. The successful candidate will workdirectly with colleagues from the CoTe, Research, and Clinical to explore a diverse range of disease areas and treatment modalities.This person will be in a position to apply various MS-centric platformsto accelerate drug discovery and development, while maintaining a critical eye on assay quality and maintaining regulatory standards, when applicable.
Specifically, we are looking for a motivated and driven bench scientist with ≥4 years of experienceofMS-based research, who has a track record for answeringdifficult biological and/or biopharmaceutical questions using a variety ofMS instrumentsand workflows.
This Scientist/Senior Scientist position will report to the Director of the MS Core within the CoTe, and will have the opportunity to influence the evolution of the larger CoTe department.This person will design and execute analytical strategies to facilitate drug discovery and development, presentexperiment results and data interpretation in multi-disciplinary project meetings, and contribute to technical documents (e.g. assay development/characterization reports, SOPs, etc). This person may also mentor junior lab staff, evaluate analytical technologies andmethodologies, and contribute to scientific publications and regulatory submissions, as required. This role will initially be for an individual contributor, but could evolve into a leadership role in time.
- Develop a variety of analytical methods and workflows to identify, characterize,and quantify drugs, metabolites and biomarkers. Techniques may include (but are not limited to) mass spectrometry, HPLC/UPLC, micro-flow LC and nano-flow LC.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to Research and Translation Sciences clients and early development teams.
- May function as the primary CoTe interface to other departments regarding designated projectsand share responsibility for project milestones and timelines.
- Develop new workflows, or bring in new technology from the outside, to enhance the analytical capabilities of the MS Core or CoTe, more broadly.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior lab staff, and provide training/support to ‘self-service’ users of the MS Core.
- Prepares SOPs and other documents such as assay development reports and data reports for testing results.
- Share responsibility for lab management and maintenance duties.
- May serve as Bioanalytical Study Monitor for outsourced assays, participate in audits and inspections, and adhere to regulatory compliance standards, when applicable.
- Independently carry out the aforementioned tasks and plan, implement, and complete significant projects with minimalsupervision.
- Participates in scientific meetings and produces original peer-reviewed publications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Doctorate (Ph.D.) or M.S. degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field with a research emphasis on mass spectrometry applications or instrument design.Established field of expertise in protein chemistry, analytical chemistry, instrumental analysis, proteomics, genomics, immunology, or similar.
At least 4years (8 years for M.S.)of hands-on experienceusing mass spectrometry and liquid chromatographyin a biological or biochemical field.Ability to solve complex problems independently. Experience with a variety of data analysis workflows and software packages is a plus. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
We have flexibility on the background of the potential candidate. We are open to both junior and experienced talent. Our leveling guidelines are:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
Sr. Scientist 1:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 5+ years industry experience
Sr. Scientist 2:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 8+ years of industry experience