Scientist II, Statistical GeneticsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
We’re seeking a senior scientist with strong statistical genetics experience to join the growing genetics and genomics group at BioMarin Pharmaceutical. The candidate will support discovery activities to transform human genetics and genomics discoveries to therapeutic hypotheses, and effectively communicate results to impact multiple stages of our drug discovery and development pipeline. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment and will be responsible for developing and employing rigorous statistical and computational approaches and to engage scientists and project teams to leverage genomics data in achieving project objectives.
- Identify and evaluate external partnerships and collaborations in relevant human genetic studies from academic consortia and public-private partnerships.
- Apply and develop robust statistical and computational approaches to analyze population genomic and phenotypic data to enable disease/target/biomarker identification and evaluation, exploring mechanism of action, and identification of genetic causal links to disease or subtypes of disease
- Work closely with project teams and functional areas to identify and provide computational solutions to address key biological questions, including identifying datasets, formulating hypothesis, developing and implementing analytical solutions
- Evaluate and develop bioinformatics methods to integrate, summarize and report genetic, genomic, and other omics data, examples include WES, WGS, GWAS, RVAS, Mendelian randomization.
- Solid foundation in population statistical genetics principles and applications
- Working experience with large samples combining broad phenotypic information or Electronic Health Record data with genotype/sequence data will be a plus (eg. UK Biobank, National Registries, TopMed).
- Experience implementing statistical genetics for drug discovery is desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise with NGS and statistical genomics analyses and software
- Hands-on experience in management, analysis and interpretation of large human genomics studies (e.g. GWAS, Mendelian randomization)
- Statistical programming and scripting skills (R and Python/Perl/Shell/etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams and being a highly collaborative and active team contributor
- Strong scientific curiosity and initiative, knowledge of experimental design
- Excellent problem-solving, teamwork, organization and communication skills.
- Ability to translate complex statistics and genetic terms for a non-specialized audience
Ph.D., minimum of 3-5 years post degree experience in statistical genetics, quantitative genetics, biostatistics, computational biology, biology, chemistry or related fields.
Sr Scientist I position requires 5+ yrs of experience preferably within industry
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.