Sr Scientist 1 or 2, Gene Therapy Research - AAV Gene Delivery
Location:San Rafael, California
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Looking for a highly motivated team member with deep expertise in AAV biology and application to gene therapy, with a demonstrated track record of successful research to development transitions of gene-based therapies.
- Responsible for identifying critical areas and developing innovative solutions to address the challenges associated with AAV gene delivery, including vector genome complexity, capsid engineering and optimization, tissue targeting, vector integration, immunogenicity, and redosing.
- Critically involved in identifying and developing novel gene therapy candidates from concept through non-clinical in vitro and in vivo evaluation.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Virology, Immunology, Genetics, or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in academia, biotechnology, or pharma industry with a primary focus on understanding AAV biology and discovery and preclinical development of gene therapy products.
- Experience in AAV therapeutic design and optimization, production, and characterization and delivery is preferred.
- Prior experience with other viral and non-viral gene therapies as well as gene editing would be a plus.
- Experience overseeing junior scientists and research Associates is preferred.
- Detail oriented, outstanding organizational skills, excellent written and oral communication skills.
Sr. Scientist 1: PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 5+ years industry experience
Sr. Scientist 2: PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 8+ years of industry experience
Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More