Sr. Scientist 1 - Oligonucleotide Chemist in Delivery, Biology ResearchLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking a highly motivated oligonucleotide chemist to join the Delivery Group in Research at BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. We are looking for a talented oligo chemist with a proven track record in oligonucleotide delivery to design and build oligonucleotide conjugates in partnership with the Delivery and Functional Genetics groups. The candidate must also be ready to drive scientific innovation and lead these therapeutic modalities within the research organization.
This position offers a unique career opportunity to work on exploratory research through late-stage programs in both supporting and project leadership roles. The candidate will be able to apply various oligonucleotide chemistry strategies to accelerate research with opportunities for career growth in a growing biotech company.
- Design novel oligonucleotide and oligonucleotide conjugates through internal/external groups
- Operate and interpret data from LC/MS and HPLC clean-up and characterization assays
- Lead a research team and interface across different therapeutic areas (cardiolovascular, neuroscience, musculoskeletal and hematology).
- Participate effectively in a multidisciplinary team to move a project from in vitro to PoC in vivo studies.
- Function as the primary interface for oligonucleotide chemistry
- Set up and manage CROs to expedite programs including synthesis and assay development
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to the Research Department.
- Attend and participate in scientific meetings.
- PhD. in chemistry with emphasis in nucleic acids is required with 5 plus years of relevant biotech or pharmaceutical experience.
- Expertise in chemical modifications of antisense oligo nucleotides is essential.
- In-depth experience in the field of oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Hands on knowledge of oligonucleotide synthesis techniques, purification, and analysis methods.
- Excellent knowledge of HPLC and mass spectrometry assays related to oligonucleotides.
- Track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents, and presentations at major national meetings
- Strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills are essential for this role.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.