Sr Research Associate, II - Biology ResearchLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking to hire a highly motivated individual at the Senior Research Associate level. The research associate will partner closely with a team of scientists from Biology Research to provide technical assistance and support for research projects. He/She will primarily be involved in the development and optimization of cell-based assays to characterize and understand the mechanism of actions of AAV-based gene therapy constructs.
Variabilities in response to AAV gene therapy have been shown in preclinical studies as well as in clinical trials. The position will focus on investigating mechanisms mediating AAV gene therapy inter-subject variabilities. The initial assignments of this position will be determining whether specific host factors are mechanisitically involved in the variability of liver-directed AAV based gene therapy using primary hepatocyte culture models. Other responsibilities may include sample preparation, tissue extraction, and perform routine biochemical, molecular and cellular assays to assess pharmacokinetics, efficacy, safety, and mechanisms of action of novel therapeutics.
- Work independently as part of a team for cell culture maintenance of cell lines and primary cells to perform highly technical cell-based assays to evaluate target biology.
- Proactively troubleshoot technical issues and recommend potential corrective actions
- Develop new techniques or brings in new technology to enhance the analytical capabilities of the group.
- Record and notebook-keeping
- Present data and participate in discussion in group meetings, department meetings, and Early Development team meetings as necessary.
- Prepare SOPs and other reports and documents to support nonclinical and clinical programs and associated regulatory submissions. This includes qualification protocols, qualification reports, memoranda, and data reports for testing results.
- Share responsibility for lab management duties.
Techniques may include
- Cell culture (experience with primary cells is highly preferred), transduction, transfection, cell-based assays.
- Nucleic acid and protein extraction, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) and western blot
- Perform quantitative analysis within and across multiple experiments, including basic statistical and graphical analysis.
- Work both independently and collaboratively to advance projects, perform studies with minimal supervision.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.