Sr Research Associate, Biology Research for Non-Oncology Hematology,Location San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Translational Biology department within RED is hiring a highly motivated individual at the Senior Research Associate level. The ideal candidate will provide analytical support and work closely with a group of committed scientists to bring exciting new therapies to the clinic. This position will help support HemA gene therapy projects as well as AAV gene therapy platform studies designed to identify contributing factors to variability, durability and safety associated with AAV gene therapy.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated, tech savvy, a critical thinker, and able to work both independently as well as in a team environment. In addition, the candidate should possess excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills.
Responsibilities may include:
- Perform highly technical cell-based assays to evaluate target biology
- Conduct assays such as ELISA, enzyme activity, Mass-Spec, flow cytometry, and Western Blot
- Perform molecular assays such as cloning, qPCR and ddPCR and prepare sequencing libraries
- Serve as a study monitor for CRO studies
- Proactively troubleshoot technical issues and recommend potential corrective actions
- Develop new techniques or brings in new technology to enhance the analytical capabilities of the group.
- Record and notebook-keeping
- Present data and participate in discussion in group meetings, department meetings, and RED team meetings as necessary.
- Prepare SOPs and other reports and documents to support nonclinical and clinical programs and associated regulatory submissions. This includes qualification protocols, qualification reports, memoranda, and data reports for testing results.
- Share responsibility for lab management duties.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of experience; Master’s degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience
- Mammalian cell culture (experience with iPSC and primary cells is highly preferred), transduction, transfection, cell-based assays.
- Flow cytometry including FACS Diva and FlowJo
- Experience with handling animal tissues and tissue processing such as extraction of protein and DNA/RNA
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR, ddPCR), enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) and western blot
- Immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization assays
- Epifluorescence and confocal microscopy
- Perform quantitative analysis within and across multiple experiments, including basic statistical and graphical analysis using Prism.
- Work both independently and collaboratively to advance projects, perform studies with minimal supervision.
- Good critical thinking and attention to details are required.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.