Sr. Manager, Business Development - Strategic MappingLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Hybrid Apply
It takes a village, and at BioMarin our corporate groups are the people behind our success. Groups such as IT, Finance, Legal, Global Compliance & Ethics, and our People Team provide foundational support of all areas of operation at BioMarin.
The Business and Corporate Development function plays a critical role in the strategic growth of BioMarin by leading corporate strategy initiatives and executing various types of transactions (e.g., licensing, M&A, partnership efforts) to shape our pipeline.
Please note we can consider candidates at the Manager or Sr. Manager Level.
Location is San Rafael, two days on-site, three days work from home.
We can also consider Remote US candidates.
This role will report to George Ye, Executive Director of Business and Corporate Development.
The new hire will initially be focused on creating strategic, actionable, asset-centric landscapes across different areas of interest, and may grow into other BD and Alliance Management roles such as deal lead, transaction lead, and alliance manager to advance BioMarin’s rare and genetic disease product pipeline. This high-impact role will be critical in providing strategic analysis and guidance for driving BioMarin’s inorganic growth lever.
The new hire will work closely with BD deal leads to identify therapeutic areas and indications of high interest for buy-side projects. The specific focus of this individual will be on targeted medicines for genetic rare diseases, developing sophisticated, detailed landscapes across different indications to identify assets of interest and areas of white space. In addition, this person will work with other teammates to create and formalize this process with the goal of curating and maintaining existing landscapes efficiently and sustainably. This person must have an exceptional ability to rapidly learn and digest large amounts of information and then organize and synthesize the learnings in written and verbal presentations for internal strategic discussions. This person may also support other initiatives (e.g., buy-side, sell-side, and corporate strategy) that support the corporate vision and goals.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Secondary / primary research for landscape analysis (e.g., indications of specific interest)
- Secondary / primary research for asset evaluation (e.g., scientific publications, analyst reports, Key Opinion Leader interviews)
- Monitoring of new academic publications and industry news
- Research and document creation for the team as part of evaluation (e.g., PowerPoints for assets under evaluation)
- Creating and optimizing the process for landscape analysis
- Develop into internal SMEs by understanding the disease biology, influential KOLs, treatment paradigm, and new and emerging therapeutics for relevant landscapes
- Must have MD/PhD with “VC mindset”
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to collect and synthesize a wide range of scientific and clinical information
- Organized and capable of multi-tasking. Strong attention to detail.
- Scientifically strategic with an ownership mindset. Ability to produce quality deliverables and motivated to work with tight deadlines
- Excels at working collaboratively with others
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the ability to make sound business judgments
- Passionate about learning about business development in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in BD in small to mid-size Biotech companies preferred
- Robust understanding of the full drug development process, life-cycle management and commercialization of therapeutics (rare disease preferred)
- Strong EQ combined with scientific/technical acumen of the clinical development process
- A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence, and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that requires "win-win" collaboration at all levels
- Top-Tier Venture Capital experience is a +
MD OR PHD IN LIFE SCIENCES REQUIRED
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 132,200 to $ 198,400 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.