Sr, Manager, Business Development and Corporate StrategyLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Hybrid Apply
It takes a village, and at BioMarin our corporate groups are the people behind our success. Groups such as IT, Finance, Legal, Global Compliance & Ethics, and our People Team provide foundational support of all areas of operation at BioMarin.
Business and Corporate Development plays a critical role in the strategic growth of BioMarin by leading corporate strategy initiatives and executing to various types of transactions (e.g. licensing, M&A, partnership efforts) to shape our pipeline.
This role will report to George Ye, Executive Director of Business and Corporate Development.
The new hire will initially be focused on prospecting and search and evaluation for assets and opportunities in strategic areas of interest, and expand into a “soup to nuts” BD role including conducting diligence, and managing transactions to advance BioMarin’s rare disease product pipeline.
The new hire will work closely as a “thought partner” with cross functional partners (e.g. research, clinical development, regulatory, legal/IP, finance, and commercial) to identify, and evaluate for buy-side projects. The specific focus of this individual will be in targeted medicines for genetic rare disease, developing a sophisticated search strategy for assets (including gene therapy programs), evaluating opportunities efficiently, and supporting transactions with sound business rationale. This person must have exceptional ability to rapidly synthesize opportunities in written and verbal presentations for executive management team to advance opportunities. This person may also lead/support other initiatives (e.g. buy-side, sell-side, and corporate strategy) that support the corporate vision and goals.
The new hire will be an external face of the organization in driving the business development process with bio-pharmaceutical companies and academic organizations with the goal of licensing/acquiring key therapeutic assets, setting up R&D collaborations.
- Develop sophisticated genomic medicine (including gene therapy) search strategy
- Create/maintain contacts and relationships related to external opportunities consistent with company strategy
- Be the disease specific SME by understanding the disease biology, influential KOLs, treatment paradigm, new and emerging therapeutics
- Attend scientific and medical conferences to stay abreast of new developments in key therapeutic areas
- Identify, develop, and nurture scientific and business relationships within bio-pharmaceutical companies, academia, and internal stakeholders
- Work with internal research, development, commercial and financial experts on evaluation, due diligence and initial product development plan for proposed transactions. This includes leading/supporting the overall product evaluation process, including clinical/scientific assessments, evaluation of the commercial opportunity, analysis of the competitive landscape, and financial modeling
- Conduct/manage primary and secondary market research as part of evaluating new product development opportunities.
- Generate revenue forecasts working with commercial, P&L models, and NPV analyses
- Manage internal due diligence process. Lead and manage cross-functional interactions with Clinical, Non-Clinical, Commercial, Regulatory, Finance, IP, and Manufacturing, to conduct detailed evaluation process and prioritize and execute on transactions.
- In conjunction with evaluation team, prioritize and license best-in-class assets as basis for new rare disease therapies
- Provide support in structuring and negotiation of termsheets, including detailed comparator deal analysis and running valuation scenarios to align on proposed terms
- Support development of agreements in collaboration with legal for licensing and acquisition transactions, imperative for BD lead to have comfort/interest to read all contracts
- Ensure individual and departmental goals are achieved by providing leadership, team support and driving other key initiatives
- Must have MD/PhD with “VC mindset”
- Experience in BD in small to mid-size Biotech companies preferred
- Robust understanding of the full drug development process, life-cycle management and commercialization of therapeutics (rare disease preferred)
- Strong EQ combined with scientific/technical acumen of clinical development process
- Scientifically Strategic with ownership mindset
- Excellent leadership/influencing skills are required to manage the internal stakeholders (e.g. Research, Clinical Development, Commercial, Finance, Legal/IP, etc.)as well as, external alliances
- Conduct Landscape Analysis on technologies and disease areas
- Track record of owning, driving, and closing projects from inception to execution, to include valuation, diligence, deal engineering and leading negotiations
- A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the ability to make sound business judgments; must be able to prioritize projects to manage both current transactions and discussions to support future transactions
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence, and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that requires "win-win" collaboration at all levels
- Top-Tier Venture Capital experience is a +
MD or PhD in life sciences required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 132,200 to $ 198,400 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.