Executive Director, Product Supply ChainLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Head of Product Supply Chain Management (PSCM) is responsible for leadership and management of department functions responsible for product supply chain. PSCM team is responsible for collaborating with senior leaders across TOPS to establish product supply chain strategies to deliver reliable, efficient and agile supply chains. PSCM team is responsible for the management and coordination of launch activities and product artworks change management and implementation.
Key interfaces include:
- Supply planning;
- Clinical supply chain
- Demand planning;
- Production scheduling in internal plants and for contract manufacturing;
- Commercial and clinical operations;
- Procurement and category management teams;
- Enterprise Master Data Management;
- Legal, Tax, Product Costing and Finance;
- Logistics team, formulation, packaging engineering and validation;
- CMC team members, including the CMC Regulatory Leader, Product Quality leader and their sub-teams.
This crucial role is a member of the BioMarin Global Supply Chain and Product Management communities and participates in network initiatives and efforts, including improving governance, and delivering TOPs and SCOPE strategic objectives.
- Management of personnel responsible for developing product supply chain strategies.
- Accountable for business processes to deliver robust and efficient product strategies and launch and product artwork plans.
- Responsible for working with TOPS leaders to align on vision and strategy for product management at BioMarin.
- Accountability for Product Supply Chain configuration, including Finished Goods SKU strategy
- Master data set up and management to enable supply planning globally
- Long range planning in alignment with both product and network strategies – determine what mix of inventory, capacity (dual sourcing) or lead time buffers are needed to secure supply
- Manages product switches and transfers in alignment with the product strategy, including clinical to commercial transitions
- Sets product family inventory targets and safety stock levels and implements initiatives to achieve set targets
- Product family level supply chain Key Performance Indicators
- Ensures demand, supply, master scheduling alignment across all planners
- Supply Chain maps (physical, and financial flows) for a products supply chain
- Establish and maintain a register of end-to-end product supply chain risks. Prioritize and advocate effectively for inclusion of key mitigations into the CMC portfolio.
- Foster a culture of cross-functional collaboration, objective self-analysis and transparent collective ownership of outcomes. Develop team members, cultivate our leadership bench and provide mentoring to junior staff. Provide real time, constructive feedback to the direct managers of team members.
The work product from the Product Supply Chain Management will directly support product revenue and other programs executed in the network, will be a major driver for Manufacturing expenses, and will highly impact operational and transportation costs of external operations.
- BS/MS/B.Sc/M.Sc./PhD preferably in the life sciences or engineering
- APICS certification and/or supply chain education preferred
- Other continuing education initiatives highly desirable (e.g. Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, industry specific coursework)
- At least 5 years GMP/GCP compliant Biopharma operations experience required
- Minimum 10 years of materials management, production planning and scheduling experience
- International/global experience preferred
- Minimum 10 years leadership experience of virtual teams 10+ employees
- Experience with CMC teams/sub teams desired: strong project management and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives required
- Proven leader with demonstrated ability to build and lead successful cross functional teams
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to lead change and identify opportunities that have resulted in positive business outcomes
- Excellent organizational agility that demonstrates how to get results while strengthening internal and external relationships with minimal resources.
- Consistent demonstration of managerial courage to make timely decisions without complete data to ensure quality product to patients.
- Consistently demonstrates sound quality judgement and balances between business, supply and quality aspects.
- Ability to influence decision makers and utilizes sound problem solving skills to recommend options and implement effective solutions.
- Highly skilled in the ability to work with ambiguity and complexity and can continuously modify options and solutions across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability for highly developed ability to communicate in both oral and written domains.
- Proven ability to translate complex scientific or quality concepts across all levels of understanding.
- Superior communication skills – Oral, written and formal presentation skills with senior management, middle management and line staff
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Comfortable and effective working indirectly through others
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
This is a hybrid role, requiring minimum 2 days onsite per week in San Rafael, CA.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 220,000 to $ 330,000 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.