Sr. Director / Director, Competitive Intelligence, Product Portfolio DevelopmentLocation San Rafael, California Apply
Product & Portfolio Development (PPD) group is responsible for providing best-in-class program &portfolio management, core team leadership, patient advocacy & competitive insights to optimize BioMarin’s on-market, clinical, and research programs. Competitive Intelligence (CI) is an integral part of PPD. The CI group supports BioMarin’s growing Portfolio and Programs, along with Investor Relations, Business Development, Commercial, Manufacturing, and Medical Affairs’ efforts. The CI team is committed to ensuring relevant, timely, and impactful insights and strategies to support the programs, portfolio, and BioMarin’s corporate goals.
The (Sr.) Director-level position is a leadership role for insight-driven, seasoned professionals who excel as masterful business facilitators and organizational drivers. As an experienced and well-respected leader, the role plays a pivotal role in setting the competitive strategy and direction of the organization. This candidate can hold accountability for sound decisions through his/her mastery of essential scientific, technical & business expertise around competitive research, drug modality, product development, and BioMarin’s therapeutic areas.
The role oversees the CI of one or more highly complex programs and disease areas and is a key leader in the CI function. In addition, the role is expected to:
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to support program strategy and execution based on competitive insights and functional initiatives.
- Support ad-hoc BD efforts by the creation of competitive and disease-level landscapes.
- Demonstrate agility by consistently balancing the ‘big picture’ analysis along with attention to detail. Specifically, he/she is expected to showcase technical skills and agility to derive implications for the BMRN programs, portfolio, and strategy. He/she uses knowledge and experience to analyze internal and external situations and quickly act on the revised plans.
- Making sound decisions by interpreting complex and often incomplete sets of information and identifying gaps breaks down vague/complex, multidimensional problems. Demonstrate the ability to learn to ‘predict’ competitor behavior and outcomes based on experience and prior competitor actions. When making decisions, he/she considers line management guidance, departmental priorities, and overall corporate strategic implications.
- Act as a strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts to help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
- Following demonstrated success in the role, the candidate may have the opportunity to take on additional organization-wide responsibilities of greater scope and complexity.
Experience & Education:
- BA/BS in a scientific or technical field. An advanced degree is strongly desirable. MD/Ph.D. is a plus. Experience instead of education is accepted.
- Minimum of 7 years total relevant experience (including industry, mgmt. consulting, and/or Research, Product Development experience). Experiences in investment banking, industry corporate strategy role, CI, and/or portfolio strategy are a plus.
- Sr. Director level requires a min of 10 years of experience & Director requires a min of 7 years.
- Experience in people management is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.