Specialist, EHS&SLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The EHS&S Specialist supports the overall BioMarin Environmental Health Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) operations for the San Rafael Campus to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulations. This position is specialized in providing environmental compliance services to R&D laboratories, facilities, and other related departments. The EHS&S Specialist I will focus on implementation of environmental compliance programs and procedures, management of environmental permits and requirements, environmental risk management, and regulatory compliance support. The EHS&S Specialist I may act as the EHS&S representative on various cross-functional projects, may design and oversee limited environmental investigations, and may deliver routine internal training to staff.
The EHS&S Specialist I is a technical position in the EHS&S department. At the discretion of the EHS&S Manager/Senior Manager, the EHS&S Specialist I may also support other functional and/or departmental initiatives and business processes.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert for environmental programs (waste, air, water, hazardous materials) for the SRC Campus.
- Ensure site compliance with applicable local, state and federal environmental regulations including documentation, reporting, permits and training.
- Implements multiple environmental programs including air, storm water, wastewater, hazardous waste, medical waste, and hazardous materials.
- Oversee and conduct environmental sampling activities and inspections.
- Drive continuous improvement through process improvements.
- Coordinate waste vendor activities.
- Participate in safety committees including coordinating attendees, completing minutes, maintaining rosters, etc.
- Assist in performing health, safety and environmental risk assessments, inspections and associated activities.
- Update EHS&S related documents including written program, fact sheets and trainings.
- Maintain incident/accident investigations associated records and identify, implement and track corrective actions.
- May support EHS&S US regional and/or global governance initiatives.
- Provide customer service support to BioMarin employees.
- Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as needed.
- Becomes a member of the Emergency Response Team (ERT) and assists in ERT program planning.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- 3-5 years working in EHS&S, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- Requires comprehensive understanding of office software including: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Desired personal competencies related to performance in this role:
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Planning: Sets objectives/goals; Breaks down work into the process steps; Develops schedules and task/staff assignments; accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects.
- Initiative: Recognizes and acts on opportunities even when not asked to do so; self-directed within the scope of responsibilities.
- Knowledge and experience of EHS&S regulations
- Emergency Response Training.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a science or engineering related field minimum requirement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.