Senior Scientist I, Vector Analytics - Gene Therapy Research
Location:San Rafael, California
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are looking for a highly motivated team member with extensive experience in gene therapy vector analytics to be a key contributor in the Genetics Research and Delivery Group. Incumbent will be responsible for in process and release testing of research grade viral (AAV) and non-viral vectors, and for leading the development of new and/or improved assays in alignment with Process Sciences and Manufacturing.
- Responsible for the development, optimization, and implementation of analytical methods for the characterization, release, and stability testing of research grade gene therapy products
- Support analytical method development and characterization of AAV products using molecular, biophysical, and other analytical assays
- Develop strategies for analytical characterization and impurity analysis of viral and non-viral vectors
- Independently plan and conduct laboratory experiments and oversee the performance of 1-2 Research Associates/Senior Research Associates
- Compile data and perform computations using data analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- Align with collaborators in Research, Process Sciences, and Analytical Sciences on phase appropriate analytical methods and strategy
- PhD in Biological Sciences, Bioengineering, Chemistry or related field
- 5+ years of experience in the biotechnology or pharma industry with a primary focus on analytical methodology for gene therapy products.
- Strong understanding of AAV biology required
- Extensive hands-on experience in designing, developing, and executing molecular assays (NGS, ddPCR and qPCR) and analytical chemistry and biophysical assays (CE, HPLC, mass spectrometry)
- Experience in the design and optimization of potency and infectivity assays for gene therapy products is preferred
- Knowledge of regulatory/pharmacopeia requirements for gene therapy products is a plus
- Hands-on experience in upstream and downstream process development and viral vector production is a plus
- Detail oriented, outstanding organizational skills, excellent written and oral communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More