Senior Research Associate I, Protein Sciences - ResearchLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking a highly motivatedSenior Research Associate to join our Biologics & Production Team. The successful candidate willplay an important role in the discovery-stage research of protein and gene therapy-based biotherapeutics. The candidate will work within multidisciplinary teams of scientists/research associates to provide experimental expertise in purifying and characterizing therapeutic candidates. He or she also will have the opportunity to develop processes that empower downstream production efforts to support the rapid scale up of preclinical stage therapeutics. This position involves a unique blend of discovery, experimental, and development skills in protein science and gene therapyto support both discovery- and development-stage processes for novel therapeutics.
As a Senior Research Associate in Biologics & Production Group, the associate will be responsible for developing and executing standard as well as novel purification methods to produce and characterize first in class biological therapeutics. The candidate will work independently, and as part of a team,to support discovery efforts in research. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in protein science with a demonstrated track record of accomplishments producing proteins of multiple classes. Responsibilities include:
- Purification of tagged and untagged proteins from bacterial and mammalian sources.
- Characterization of purified proteins using a variety of analytical tools including AEX-, CEX-, SEC-HPLC, SDS-PAGE, and potency as determined by affinity
- Purification of AAV gene therapy vectors using multiple approaches
- Perform purification methods at multiple scales, including using high-flow equipment
- Development of scalablepurification methods that can accelerate process sciences
- Design, execute, interpret experimental results documenting work in ELN
- Prepare slides, propose solutions, and present results at project team meetings
- Identify and implement new technologies or improved approaches in protein sciences
- Track record of success purifying proteins at small and large-scale on the AktaPure andAvant platforms.
- Experience performing ultrafiltration/diafiltration, and clarification processes.
- Experiencedeveloping new protein purification methods, exploring new tools for protein characterization
- Familiar with Unicorn and ChemStationinstrument software
- Experience using the Octet Platform for protein quantitation and kinetic studies is a plus
- Experience supporting development-stage programs (process development, formulation, etc.) is preferred
- The ideal candidate not only demonstrates a thorough understanding of proteinsciences, but also possesses complementary technical skills in lab innovation and the development and application of novel techniques to solve challenging problems.
- Experience with robotics and other high throughput technologies to accelerate discovery and development is a plus.
The candidate must demonstrate an ability to collaboratively work in teams of scientists/research associates with diverse backgrounds, and efficiently manage their time in a fast-paced work environment. Excellent oral and written communication skills, and a high degree of personal responsibility are valued. This role directly handles and/or is in proximity to lentiviral or other viral vector based gene delivery systems
EDUCATION & REQUISITES:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related scientific field and at least 6-8 years of relevant experience or Master's degree with at least 4-6 years of relevant experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.