Senior Research Associate I, Protein Sciences - AnalyticalLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Research Associate to join our Research group focused on analytical characterization of biologics. The successful candidate will play an important role in the discovery-stage research of protein and gene therapy-based biotherapeutics. The candidate will work within multidisciplinary teams of scientists/research associates to provide experimental expertise in assay development.
The candidate will be responsible for developing new analytical methods and assays, managing sample testing, compiling sample testing results, and maintaining laboratory equipment. The selected candidate should possess excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills and be a self-starter willing to work efficiently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment. This role directly handles and/or is in proximity to lentiviral or other viral vector based gene delivery systems.
- Perform LC-MS based assays to quantify analytes from various complex matrices.
- Perform quantitative analysis of data and interpretation of experimental results.
- Develop and optimize new LC/MS-based protocols.
- Prepare and deliver effective oral presentations in meetings.
- Maintain good and timely documentation of experiments
- Contribute to and provide solutions to technical problems and think creatively.
- Follow SOPs, policies, and regulations, and to perform routine lab equipment maintenance is required.
- Good understanding of protein chemistry, structure, and function
- Candidate should have general understanding of mass spectrometry principles
- Knowledge in standard protein analysis methods (g. SEC, IEX, RP-HPLC, and CE)
- Hand-on experience in protein biochemistry (g. SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, Immunoprecipitation)
- Experience in UPLC and/or HPLC based separations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of basic statistical analysis
- Strong problem-solving, documentation and organizational skills with a focus on details and results.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Hands on experience with mass spectrometry techniques (LC-MS)
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Biophysical Chemistry or a related scientific field and at least 6 years of relevant experience OR Master's degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience.
- Strong analytical, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Track record of productivity and effective projects.
- Interested in learning new techniques and approaches. Attention to detail, time management and organization skills are critical.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.