BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking to hire a Senior Research Associate for our Analytical Neuropathology group within Biology Research. This position is for a highly motivated, detail-oriented individual committed to providing quality laboratory results in a timely and efficient manner. They/ She/He will be part of a team that evaluates disease pathogenesis and therapeutic efficacy for a variety of pre-clinical and developmental projects with a strong focus on neurobiology.
The individual will be responsible for:
- Experimental design of histology experiments
- Processing tissues
- Performing histological stains, IHC/IF, or ISH on tissue from multiple species utilizing both manual and automated platforms
- Slide imaging, light and fluorescence microscopy, confocal microscopy
- Laser capture microdissection
- 3D tissue clearing
- Image quantification and analysis
- Developing and implementing new assays, functionality and technology for project needs
- Database organization
- Coordinating CRO work and maintaining excellent relationships with them
- Experimental record keeping using electronic lab notebook and communication of results
- Maintenance of an organized and efficient laboratory
- Experience/ expertise in neurobiology research field.
- Experience with routine histology
- Experience processing tissues for multiple modalities e.g. FFPE, fixed-frozen, free-floating sections
- At least 2 years’ experience of performing immunohistochemistry by manual and automated methods
- Experience with multiplexing fluorescent labels required, familiarity with multiplexing bright field labels a plus
- Experience with IHC autostainers including Ventana and Leica Bond
- Extensive microscopy skills
- Experience with slide scanning. Zeiss Axioscan experience a plus
- Proficiency with histological image analysis and statistical analysis, experience digital image quantification on platforms including VisioPharm, QuPath, ImageJ and Zen
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-oriented environment
- Ability to design own experiments, propose data interpretation and recommendation
- Committed to overcome challenges and use own initiative/judgement to troubleshoot
- Excellent written and verbal communication to occasionally present at group and team meetings
- Proficient in basic IT skills including the use of Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated
- Familiarity with In Situ Hybridization, knowledge of the ACD platform is a plus.
- Experience with confocal imaging.
Senior Research Associate 1 :
Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of experience; Master’s degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience
Senior Research Associate 2:
Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience; Master’s degree with at least 6 years of relevant experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.