Senior or Executive Director, Core Team Leader, Product DevelopmentLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Senior or Executive Director, Core Team Leader, Product Development
Product Development is responsible for BioMarin’s corporate and R&D governance, business operating model (core teams and sub-teams) and portfolio strategy. Product Development integrates overall product strategy and ensures planning and timely execution to inform decision making and development of therapies at BioMarin.
Core Team Leader (CTL) Role:
CTL is the product champion and leads a team of core functional leaders that together help develop product strategy and planning for clinical and/or marketed products. CTL is the primary liaison between team/sub-teams and executive management and has overall accountability to executive management (CEO and CEO leadership team) for the integrated product strategy. In collaboration with core team (CT) members, the CTL ensures progress and execution against plans and as the leader of the CT is the primary contact for internal stakeholders. As a senior leader in the core team leader group, is a role model, mentors peers and contributes to key core team processes and initiatives.
- Program Strategy
- Lead the CT in the generation of a Target Product Profile and the cross-functional compound development and lifecycle strategy taking into account global considerations
- Lead CT and develop forward looking integrated stage based product development plans that are aligned with program strategy and ensures assumptions and drivers are aligned with plans to inform financial planning
- Lead efforts in partnership with line functions to optimize value of the compound throughout its lifecycle.
- Ensure potential risks are identified and contingency planning with a solutions focused mindset.
- Team Effectiveness
- Ensure cross functional partnerships and resources are leveraged effectively, and with accountability, to achieve program objectives.
- Drive collaboration and transparency across all functions on the CT and challenge team members to be broad and inclusive in their strategy planning.
- Resolve conflicts at the Core Team, provide and receive feedback to develop and maintain a high performing team and if necessary escalate team member performance related issues to functional management
- Governance and Approvals
- Ensure that team recommendations are brought to appropriate governance for management buy-in and decisions
- Ensure alignment of program strategy/plan/execution with management expectations & priorities
- Lead CT in the development of scenarios and recommendations and present CT position for decision making at various governance bodies. Leverage SMEs for expertise and have SMEs present on topics pertaining to their areas
- Single point of contact on program for executive and functional management
- Ensures communication of rationale and context for decisions made to team
- Leads team in developing a comprehensive internal and external communication plan with team input for important program milestones, key data, etc.
- Reviews and agrees to publication plan, reviews publication concepts, presentations and manuscripts
- Primary source for information as needed for external communications (press releases, investor related, etc.)
- Reviews health authority related documents and ensures consistency with strategic objectives for the program
- In partnership with Project Management Lead, CTL ensures
- Timely progress and execution against strategy and plans
- Timely and aligned input into drivers for LRP and Budget process
The successful candidate will ideally have an advanced degree in a scientific discipline (e.g., Ph.D. or M.D.); M.B.A. is a plus.
- 15+ years (Executive Director) or 12+ years (Senior Director) experience in the biotechnology/ pharmaceutical industry. Ideally, the individual will have experience in drug development across several therapeutic areas and across the spectrum of drug development and life cycle management.
- Experience as a leader of product or compound strategy teams or sub-teams. Experience leading a core/cross functional strategy team for an investigational therapy through development is preferred.
- The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong leadership ability and professional credibility to influence a highly intelligent and sophisticated audience of colleagues, partners, and external constituents.
- This individual must be a self-starter and possess excellent leadership, influencing and communication skills, as they will be applied at all levels, including at the core team, interactions with the executive team, and presentations to high-level internal and external audiences