Senior Director, North America Brand Management, Phenylketonuria (PKU) LeadLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The North America Brand Management organization supports this vision through developing and implementing brand strategy that drives growth while supporting the core BioMarin values of patient centricity, innovation, ethics, respect, accountability, and continuous learning. The Senior Director, North America Brand Management, Phenylketonuria (PKU) Lead will be responsible for overarching strategy and execution for our marketed PKU brands, Palynziq and Kuvan, in the U.S. and Canada, as well as early strategy input for BMN 307 (our investigational PKU gene therapy). This brand management leader will be responsible for both HCP and patient marketing and will have multiple direct reports on the PKU brand Management team. The Senior Director, North America Brand Management, PKU Lead will report directly to the Executive Director, North America Brand Management.
2020 is a pivotal year for the PKU portfolio at BioMarin, as we continue our launch trajectory for Palynziq, navigate a loss of exclusivity for Kuvan, and prepare initial commercial strategy for BMN 307. This leadership position represents an exciting opportunity to lead a 3-product portfolio comprised of a small molecule, biologic, and gene therapy. BioMarin is uniquely positioned as the historic and future leader in PKU, and this leadership position will play a critical role propelling our PKU franchise to new levels in 2020 and beyond. This leader will need to provide overarching portfolio vision and strategy across brands, customers and channels as we evolve and expand the portfolio, as well as lead the team in prioritization and trade-offs with time/budget/resourcing allocations. The Senior Director, North America Brand Management, PKU Lead is responsible for overarching vision, strategy and tactics for the cross-functional brand team for the PKU portfolio in North America. They must be a seasoned leader who can influence without direct reporting relationships across all key stakeholder teams in the U.S. and Canada (sales, field based clinical support, reimbursement hub, market access, trade and distribution, global brand management, medical affairs, compliance, learning and development, etc.)
Demonstrated leadership, cross-functional facilitation and collaboration, strategic and tactical marketing, organization, problem solving, communications, visionary and inspirational leadership, and project management skills are required as well as enthusiasm to collaborate in a thriving team environment. Strong results orientation and a sense of urgency to get things done are critical. This professional should be a disciplined individual that embraces innovative approaches, and is comfortable in a nimble and growing commercial organization. The Senior Director, PKU Brand Management for North America must be creative and adaptable to unique and changing situations, be goal-oriented, know how to set aggressive, achievable targets, and motivate internal cross-functional teams as well as third-party vendors and agencies. A strong passion for supporting patients with Rare Disease and their HCPs through compelling marketing and educational programs is essential.
This position serves as the North America Regional Brand Lead for PKU in North America. In alignment with the BioMarin Global and Regional Brand Management role expectations, this Regional Brand Lead will be accountable for:
- Leading the Regional Brand Team to establish and execute a regional brand strategy to drive brand growth across the region.
- Identifying critical business issues and opportunities for future growth in the region.
- Collaborating effectively with cross functional global and regional team and stakeholders.
- Provide input into long term Franchise Strategy development to Global Brand Management
- Overall leadership of North America PKU brand team, including Palynziq, Kuvan, and BMN 307 (investigational)
- HCP and Patient strategy, messaging, and tactical implementation leadership for PKU; executing in collaboration with other members of the PKU marketing team who report into this PKU lead
- Leadership of strategic and tactical planning for HCP and patient marketing and programs
- Collaboration with and leadership of other PKU brand management team members (e.g., HCP lead, Patient lead, channel marketing lead, digital operations) for PKU Brand Management priorities and vision
- Collaboration with (and indirect leadership of) cross-functional brand team members including sales, field based clinical support, HUB, market access, compliance, and medical, including franchise oversight as well as preparation and execution of monthly brand team meetings
- Frequent cross-functional collaboration with multiple internal groups (e.g., compliance, sales, field based clinical support, market access, medical, commercial learning and development, marketing operations, etc.), to set vision and execution plan for branded promotions as well as disease state education
- Presentation of key activities and initiatives to North America and Global Brand teams and Commercial executive management, as needed
- Leadership of brand management team (and cross-functional stakeholders), to prepare annual brand/business plan and associated budgets across all PKU brands, including leadership of marketing and education strategy and development of tactical plan
- Strategic leadership (and oversight of team member(s) responsible for operationalization) of the PKU digital landscapes, including HCP and patient-focused web and social properties
- Partner with Digital Community team for optimal planning and execution
- Strategy and implementation of additional digital assets for HCPs and patients (e.g., email campaigns, videos, adherence/discontinuation minimization programs and campaigns)
- Oversight of team’s coordination with advertising agencies and internal graphic designers on the development, execution, and maintenance of PKU branded and unbranded materials
- Commercial’s brand reviewer and approver on the BioMarin Promotional Review Board (PRB) for all PKU materials, both branded and unbranded (DSE) across HCP and patient
- Active member of the Global PKU Brand Team (Palynziq and Kuvan) and BMN 307 Access and Commercialization team (ACT), representing North America regional priorities and insights, including attendance at ongoing global team meetings and annual brand/business planning events
- Oversee PKU marketing team to plan appropriate rollout and training of resources and materials during POA meetings for live and/or webex training, in collaboration with Commercial Learning and Development team
- Identify and plan insight collection initiatives to inform brand strategy (e.g., Advisory Boards and/or Market Research with HCPs and/or patients)
- Minimum 10-15 years of related experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry, preferably within Rare Disease.
- Orphan drug experience required.
- Experience with strategic and executional marketing required.
- Industry sales experience beneficial, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, including cross-functional influence without authority, is critical.
- Demonstrated people management experience strongly preferred.
- Strong facilitation and leadership skills required
- Ability to interact with and positively influence all levels of business across multiple departments.
- Strong analytical skills, solid general business skills and a good understanding of the US and Canadian pharmaceutical markets.
- Strong executive presence and ability to represent regional business performance, priorities, and needs to executive management
- Excellent project management, attention to detail and executional experience a must-have
Bachelor's degree required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.