Senior Director, Enterprise Growth Strategy, Transformation OfficeLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin has experienced substantial growth organically since its inception, primarily over the last decade. While this steady growth in both cost structure and staff was essential to BioMarin’s emergence as a leading, fully-integrated global biopharma with approximately $2 billion in revenues from over 75 countries, a robust R&D pipeline, operating profits and world-class technical capabilities through its 3,000 employees; BioMarin leadership desires to optimize the efficiency of its operations for the future through its next phase of growth.
BioMarin launched Phase 1 of its “Fit-for-Growth” (FFG) enterprise-wide operational excellence and workforce strategy initiative in Q1 2021. FFG Phase 1 was designed as an internally-led self-assessment of its cost structure and workforce, primarily through business unit lenses. As BioMarin shifts into FFG Phase 2, which will utilize expert biopharma business model transformation consultants, we are looking for a savvy leader to partner with the VP, Enterprise Growth Strategy to help maximize impact and success.
- Engage & Influence the Business: Most of the transformation through FFG will occur in the business units and processes. This will require significant collaboration, influence, negotiation and change management in a strong but sensitive manner. This individual will lead the build out of the capability of cultural change management within the organization.
- Support External Experts: Support initiative execution and act as point of contact between different departments within the company and other relevant third parties on day-to-day program execution of tasks, deliverables, resourcing, and quality control.
- Key Conduit to Senior Executives: Reporting directly to the VP, Enterprise Growth Strategy, this individual will support consistent organizational/corporate communications to ensure cohesive information flow and management alignment between senior leadership, the business, and external experts.
- FFG Accountability: In a heavily cross-functional project that is both new and at times uncomfortable for the business, driving a culture of accountability throughout the project will be essential. Accountability will lie with both the FFG team, Executives and the business units.
- Set Strategy, Goals & Objectives: A successful BioMarin FFG initiative will require creative and sophisticated strategy, both in the design and execution of the program. This role, together with the VP, Enterprise Growth Strategy and senior management, will need to see the art of the possible, and will be responsible for setting, communicating, and executing upon such strategy.
- Build and Cultivate Connections and Synergies to other Initiatives: BioMarin’s FFG mindset has spawned a number of significant efficiency initiatives, including manufacturing operational excellence, ERP replacement, headcount growth governance, technology investment governance, and portfolio management excellence. While these initiatives are mostly lead within the business units, this individual will need to build and maintain close connections to these initiatives because they all co-exist under the FFG umbrella. Exploit and maximize synergies and capabilities that already exist within the Company.
- Business Performance Metrics & Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s): In collaboration with the VP, Enterprise Growth Strategy and Senior Executives, identify and implement a refreshed optimal set of corporate and business operations performance metrics and KPI’s as a primary objective of FFG and a value driver for the corporation.
- Program Risk Management: This individual will support the identification of risks regarding BioMarin’s transformation and develop strategies to overcome or address these. Risks include understanding key dependencies to assess the impact of issues and changes in order to make recommendations to impacted stakeholders.
- Build a “Value over Savings” Mentality: BioMarin is planning for rapid business growth over the next few years. A cornerstone of FFG is continuing to grow organically while maximizing shareholder value through this growth. This individual will identify and track the results of the FFG initiative, both in the form of shareholder value creation, as well as operating and financial efficiencies.
- Overall Program Management: In addition to the aforementioned responsibilities, this individual will offer support for overall management of the program, including resourcing, timelines, deliverable management, status report and other administrative aspects.
The nature of this role requires a dynamic set of business and leadership skills, including the following:
- Savvy leader experienced in developing organizational credibility at senior levels (C-suite and board)
- Effective communicator both up and down into the organization
- Driver of Decisions and Active Listener
- Change Agent open to new ideas
- Sound financial and business acumen, including global business process knowledge and deep financial P&L expertise
- Change Management leadership experience
- Lead effectively in ambiguity
- High level of emotional intelligence (E.Q.)
- Other desirable attributes include work experience in multiple areas of a global biopharma, and prior experience leading a business transformation project in a consulting or healthcare area
- Bachelors or equivalent degree required. Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MD, MBA) highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with 15+ years of experience; Master’s degree with 12+ years of experience; or PhD with 10+ years of experience across multiple competitive, fast paced environments E.g., pharmaceutical R&D, clinical development, commercial operations and/or strategy consulting.
- Experience managing large projects within a complex matrixed organization either as an external consultant or an internal cross-functional lead.
- Demonstrated ability to present data and metrics to executive leadership teams that will lead to better business outcomes.
- Recognized team player with proven facilitative leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment. Proven performance in a matrix environment with ability to influence and align stakeholders.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.