Senior Cloud Infrastructure EngineerLocation San Rafael, California Apply
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
INFRASTRUCTURE & OPERATIONS:
The Infrastructure and Operations Team manages the critical Global Infrastructure upon which BioMarin runs its business. Working closely with other Information Technology (IT) teams, especially Enterprise Architecture and Customer Facing IT teams, as well as business functions, Infrastructure and Operations focuses on planning, building and running the core platforms which will host the applications and systems which support BioMarin’s future growth.
The Infrastructure and Operations team seeks a highly talented and motivated Cloud Infrastructure Engineer. This role will be responsible for designing and implementing cloud platforms; implementing governance, security and compliance policies; and providing administration, monitoring, development and support. It will also be responsible for ensuring that the overall platform is functioning properly, within the design and security specifications established by IT, and that all applicable policies, processes, and procedures are properly communicated and followed.
This senior-level individual contributor role, reporting to Director of Global Infrastructure & Operations, will participate in the design and implementation of strategic cloud-based systems and services and provide expert level problem resolution for issues escalated from other IT support groups.
The qualified candidate will demonstrate experience in supporting the following systems / areas:
- Manage Environments, Configurations, Governance, Security, Integrations and Deployments
- Collaboration with multiple business units to assist in their cloud journey project(s)
- Create Custom components and connectors
- Provide architecture designs, configurations, administration, and functional support to expand capabilities in Microsoft Azure, AWS, or other cloud environment
- Coordinating with BioMarin service providers and partners
- Resolve escalated technical requests
- Identify new areas and business processes where cloud services can be leveraged and facilitate continual process improvement.
- Standardize and optimize the ways data is stored and retrieved
- Create and maintain documentation for the environment and solutions
- Oversee and daily production system support and user support, providing hands-on support as needed
- Support and cultivate the BioMarin Cloud user community
- Develop and deliver user training
- Provide knowledge transfer to internal team members
- Prefer experience with cloud in a GxP environment
The candidate will also be responsible for contributing to the overall strategic direction for key IT projects. Additional responsibilities include coordinating with BioMarin service providers and partners, resolving escalated technical requests, and collaborating with other IM personnel on departmental projects.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services:
- Architectural design and strategy (e.g., account structures, security, networking, shared services)
- Automation via code-based deployment technologies (e.g., terraform, CDK)
- Ensuring adherence to, and defining, metadata standards for cloud resources (e.g., tags)
- Designing and deploying cloud-native solutions based on business requirements
- Automated management and problem remediation for cloud resources and integrations
- Managing, reviewing, or overseeing cloud-native service development and deployment
- Significant experience with core services within cloud environments such as:
- Scripted management (e.g., PowerShell, CLI) usage for various functions in normal administration
- Monitoring, logging, reporting, and automated remediation techniques
- Standards development and compliance testing
- Cost management, modeling, and projection for dynamically consumed resources
- Development of cloud-native backup, recovery, and DR solutions
- Significant experience supporting bioinformatics, data science, and/or machine learning workloads
- Support of elastic clusters or dynamically provisioned resources
- Management or design of large, multitiered cloud-native data solutions (e.g., FSx)
- Delivery of infrastructure, tools, and workflows enabling DevOps and/or MLOps (e.g., Docker)
- Ensuring superior service delivery in a fast-paced research environment
- Experience integrating traditional and cloud-based enterprise technologies:
- Knowledge of directory services and integration to cloud based IAM services
- Deep understanding of hybrid infrastructure integrations and best practices (e.g., DirectConnect)
- Monitoring and system inventory integrations (e.g., LogicMonitor, CMDB)
- Cost optimization and capacity planning across providers (e.g., Turbonomics)
- Experience working in an enterprise environment
- Project and problem management, including effectively identifying and communicating goals, risks, stakeholders, timelines, options, and costs
- Experience preferred with SOX and/or GxP (Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Laboratory Practices, Good Documentation Practices)
- Experience with CIS framework and application to cloud environments
- Familiarity with Finance, ERP systems (SAP, Oracle ERP, etc.), and/or manufacturing preferred
BS/BA or greater related to computer science or other relevant experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.