Senior Associate Internal Audit (TEMPORARY)Location San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Associate role is a new position that is being created to support the growing needs of the Internal Audit team as it expands its global coverage of the business to provide objective and independent assurance to BioMarin’s Board of Directors and Chief Compliance Officer.
This position will play a key role in supporting and expanding the capacity of Internal Audit to cover the wide-ranging financial, business, regulatory, and anti-corruption risks faced across the many countries in which BioMarin operates. The Senior Associate will primarily be responsible for providing input and feedback during the audit planning process, end-to-end execution of audit fieldwork, and the crafting and communication of audit observations and findings in the reporting process. These audits assess the design, effectiveness, and efficiency of processes and controls of local business units to address the aforementioned risks.
The role is based out of San Rafael, CA and normally requires approximately 10-20% travel. However, given the current travel restrictions related to COVID-19, the department is working and conducting audits remotely until restrictions are lifted.
The position of Senior Associate reports the Manager on the Internal Audit team. As a Senior Internal Auditor, you will be a key member of the Internal Audit team mainly focused on the planning and execution of the global audits of our ex-US business units. Below are some of the key responsibilities involved in the role:
- Lead role on the day-to-day execution of audit procedures, including documentation of these procedures in our audit management software tool
- Coordination, preparation, and management of document requests, interview walkthroughs, and follow-up questions with various audit stakeholders across the company
- Analytical procedures using different types of data from a broad range of sources and systems to identify potential areas of further investigation
- Application of professional auditing principles and standards to evaluate whether audit evidence supports effectively operating controls to mitigate financial, anti-corruption, and healthcare compliance risks
- Production of high-quality working papers to document tests performed, results, and conclusions
- Effective coordination and communication of audit observations to auditees, as well as the Internal Audit Manager and Associate Director
- 2+ years in public accounting, internal audit, advisory or global corporation, or a combination hereof.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, audit management software, and an ability to pick up new systems quickly
- Biotech/Pharmaceutical/Life Science experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with ambiguity, and respond to a rapidly changing, highly innovative environment
- Proactively seeks knowledge, new tasks, and responsibilities. Highly self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities and working styles
- Exposure to and knowledge of ERP systems and data
- Ability to organize projects and work responsibilities, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Ability to travel occasionally; both domestically and internationally
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in an accounting, finance, or economics concentration
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Public Accountant, or Certified Fraud Examiner designation, or demonstrated progress towards certifications, a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.