Scientist / Senior Scientist, BioMarker Discovery, Translational SciencesLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Scientist / Senior Scientist will be responsible for implementing translational medicine approaches to better understand the pathobiology of rare genetic diseases, with the ultimate goal of expediting the development of new medicines to benefit patients with genetic disorders.
The Scientist/Senior Scientist will be a key member of the Biomarker Discovery group within Translational Sciences, serving as the biomarker lead scientist in 2-3 therapeutic programs and a member of those programs’ cross-functional project teams; he/she will actively participate in identifying scientific questions to be investigated in pre-clinical and clinical settings and will help develop and successfully execute strategies to address these questions.
- Design and develop innovative biomarker discovery strategies for identifying clinically useful biomarkers that aid in identifying patients, understanding pharmacodynamics, and characterizing treatment effects on the underlying pathobiology.
- Initiate contact with clinical experts to establish research collaborations and to consult on clinical trial endpoints and their translation to preclinical model systems.
- Collaborate with internal and external technical experts to execute the biomarker discovery strategies.
- Exploit available large-scale, genetic, genomic, phenotypic, and molecular data to support the identification of novel biomarkers.
- Evaluate and leverage digital biomarker strategies to effectively capture patients’ burden of disease.
- Work with research and clinical scientists to implement sample collection and analysis in clinical studies. Oversee validation and conduct of clinically applicable biomarker assays, working with internal scientists and contract organizations.
- Generate translational research data reports and contribute to clinical and regulatory documents.
This position requires a Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree with postdoctoral experience. Degrees in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
Required Professional Experience
- Strong publication record (or references) reflecting experience and expertise in the study of the biology of any human disease. Neurobiology, biomarker discovery, and wearable sensor technology experience would be highly valued.
- Have a passion for rigorous scientific inquiry into the pathobiology of diverse human diseases.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in cross-functional discussions.
- Have an ability to work in a dynamic fast-moving environment and influence within a matrix organization.
yearsrelevant industry experience in drug discovery and/or development
- Note: Scientist level equates to 3+plus years with PhD
- Note: Sr. Scientist level equates to 6+ plus years with PhD
- Expertise in genomic, proteomic, imaging technologies, and/or mHealth with an aptitude for learning and using cutting edge tools.
- CRO management experience preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.