Scientist II - Protein Chemistry: Recombinant Proteins & Bioconjugation, ResearchLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Onsite Only Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Delivery Group is seeking a highly motivated and talented Scientist to lead Protein Chemistry within Research at BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. We are looking for a candidate to support the preparation of recombinant proteins including antibodies and enzymes, in addition to the bioconjugation of various payloads including small molecules, oligonucleotides, and polymers. He/she will be responsible for leading cross-functional team efforts in the preparation of bioconjugates for in vitro and vivo POC and MOA studies. Experience in successfully leading the development and execution of protein expression, purification strategies, biophysical characterization, binding and screening assays are highly desired. The candidate must be ready to drive scientific innovation and lead protein-based therapeutics within the research organization at BioMarin.
The candidate will lead a research team and interface across different therapeutic areas including cardiology, neuroscience, musculoskeletal and hematology to advance our most promising research programs for rare genetic diseases. The candidate will participate effectively in a multidisciplinary team and lead projects from in vitro through in vivo proof-of-concept studies to drive decision making. Strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills are essential for this role. This position offers a unique career opportunity to work on exploratory research through late-stage programs in both supporting and project leadership roles. The candidate will be able to apply various oligonucleotide delivery strategies to accelerate research with opportunities for career growth in a growing biotech company.
- Lead cross-functional Protein Chemistry group to develop and execute recombinant protein expression, purification, and characterization to deliver high quality material to meet project needs.
- Conduct affinity, binding, and enzyme activity assays to identify lead compounds
- Manage and oversee outsourcing of protein and antibody production at CROs.
- Lead and direct a team to identify and implement new technologies to enhance.
- Attend and participate in scientific meetings.
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences with 2+ years of relevant industry experience at a biotech or pharmaceutical company. Expertise in protein engineering, structural biology, oligonucleotide chemistry, biochemistry, or polymer chemistry is desired. A record of accomplishments/publications in relevant scientific discipline and hands-on experience in oligonucleotide delivery is required.
- Industry experience strongly preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.