Scientist II, Genetics Research and DeliveryLocation San Rafael, California Apply
Looking for a highly motivated team member with extensive process development and viral vector production experience to be a key contributor in the Genetics Research and Delivery Group. Incumbent will be responsible for production of biologics and viral vectors in Baculovirus and 293 cells to support early research stage projects and investigations of vector production process improvements.
- Provide leadership of and actively contribute to viral vector production, upstream process development, and viral vector analytics.
- Participate hands-on in biologics and vector production and optimization activities.
- Collaborate closely with purification and analytics teams to support research grade vector and biologics needs and novel platform development efforts.
- Collaborate closely with multiple project teams to prosecute hypotheses and develop novel gene therapies.
- Evaluate and implement (as needed) emerging technologies in viral vector development and gene therapy.
- Collaborate closely with Process Sciences scientists to transfer processes and vectors into clinical stage manufacturing.
- Ph.D. in cellular biology, molecular biology, developmental biology, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, synthetic biology, biochemistry, or related fields; and a minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in viral vector production and purification, preferably AAV, in mammalian and insect cell systems; or B.S./M.S. with a minimum of 12 years’ relevant experience.
- Expert knowledge of mammalian cell culture, virology, molecular biology, and vector and biologics production.
- Extensive hands-on experience in bioreactor platforms for vector and protein production.
- Demonstrated excellence in the production of AAV in insect and mammalian cells.
- Strong leadership skills and history of training and mentoring junior scientists to create an effective and collaborative team.
- High proficiency in vector analytics and familiarity with GMP manufacturing requirements for gene therapies.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis and interpretation of experimental data.
- Ability to work effectively with both internal and external collaborators across multiple project teams in a highly dynamic environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly of complex information and concepts.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.