BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Oligonucleotide Group is seeking a highly motivated and talented Scientist to lead Oligonucleotide Chemistry within Research at BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. We are looking for a candidate to support the design and synthesis of oligonucleotide-based therapeutics including antisense oligonucleotides and siRNA. In addition, the candidate will work closely with the group to develop novel delivery strategies for oligonucleotide payloads. He/she will participate in cross-functional team efforts towards the generation of oligonucleotides for in vitro and vivo screening, POC and MOA studies. Experience in successfully leading the design, synthesis, purification, characterization, and screening of multiple oligonucleotide-based modalities is highly desired. The candidate must be ready to drive scientific innovation with oligonucleotide-based therapeutics within the research organization at BioMarin.
The candidate will interface across different therapeutic areas including cardiology, neuroscience, musculoskeletal and hematology to advance our most promising research programs for rare genetic diseases. The candidate will participate effectively in a multidisciplinary team and will lead projects from in vitro through in vivo proof-of-concept studies to drive decision making. Strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills are essential for this role. This position offers a unique career opportunity to work on exploratory research through late-stage programs in both supporting and project leadership roles. The candidate will be able to apply various oligonucleotide delivery strategies to accelerate research with opportunities for career growth in a growing biotech company.
- Lead the Oligonucleotide Chemistry efforts to design and synthesize oligonucleotide based modalities to deliver high quality material to meet project needs.
- Manage and oversee outsourcing of oligonucleotide synthesis at CROs
- Identify and implement new technologies to enhance drug stability, delivery, and efficacy
- Integrate chemistry and biology data to refine oligonucleotide therapeutic development
- Regularly review the literature for current advancements with novel nucleic acid chemistries, techniques, and delivery strategies
- Attend and participate in scientific meetings.
- PhD. in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry, with 2+ years of relevant industry experience at a biotech or pharmaceutical company, is required.
- A record of accomplishments/publications in relevant scientific discipline and hands-on experience in oligonucleotide therapeutics is required.
- Postdoctoral experience in oligonucleotide chemistry is desired
- Expertise in oligonucleotide chemistry is required
- Knowledge of current advancements in methods oligonucleotide synthetic chemistry and characterization is desired
- Diverse experience with nucleic acid modalities, modification chemistries, and mechanism of action is desired
Education & Level Requirements:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.