Scientist 1 or 2 – Non-viral delivery and Gene EditingLocation San Rafael, California Apply
About the job
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are looking for a highly motivated team member with extensive experience in non-viral delivery technologies to be a key contributor to the Genetics Research and Delivery Group. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting the ongoing gene therapy efforts within the Genetics Research and Delivery Group.
- Initiate, direct, and perform experiments to develop and optimize non-viral delivery methodologies using lipid nanoparticle (LNP) and/or other nanoformulations for novel genetic systems
- Develop and execute assays assessing and characterizing LNP and novel nanoparticle formulations
- Manage direct reports and collaborate with cross-functional teams and external partners
- Record, document, analyze and present scientific data to senior staff and team members and participate in the writing of SOPs, reports, and manuscripts for external scientific communications
- Strong background in molecular biology, cell engineering, gene, and cell therapy
- Experience with genome therapy for human therapeutics
- Experience with non-viral and viral delivery methods (such as LNP and AAV) in vitro and in vivo
- Experience with state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques: RT-qPCR, western blot, ELISA, molecular cloning, nucleic acid purification, NGS library construction
- Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated
- Expertise with genome modifications for human therapeutics
- Experience working with primary and iPSC-derived cells as well as complex cell culture systems
- Strong analytical, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Track record of productivity and effective projects.
- Interest in learning new techniques and approaches. Attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills.
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
Scientist 2 :
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.