Scientist 1 or 2, Capsid Engineering, Gene Therapy Research
Location :San Rafael, California
Workstyle :Onsite Only
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking to hire a Scientist 1 or 2 for our AAV Capsid Team under Gene Therapy Research. We are looking for a highly motivated team player with extensive experience in molecular biology and mammalian cell culture. As part of the AAV Capsid Engineering team, the role will be partly responsible for engineering AAV capsids using directed evolution methods, as well as collaborate withGene therapy research groups,therapeutic teams,and external collaborations,to enable the development and use of next-generation AAV capsids for Gene Therapy.The successful candidate will have a science background in AAV biology/viral vectors/virology, with extensive hands-on experience in molecular biology andmammalian cell culture.Experience with NGS sequencing and computational data analysisis highlydesirable.
- Perform directed evolution studies by building randomized DNA libraries using advanced molecular biology techniques.
- Perform NGS amplicon sequencing and NGS data analysis.
- Perform standard molecular biology techniques such as DNA, RNA extractions from mammalian cell culture or mice/NHP tissues, PCR, RT/qPCR as needed for projects.
- Design and clone DNA constructsand develop assays as needed for projects.
- Maintain detailed electronic laboratory notebook to records the day-to-day activities including experimental protocols and data generated.
- Present data in meetings.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with team members within the research group as well as cross-functional research groups and external collaborators.
- Strong technical background onmolecular biology methods, and hands-on experience on methods not limited to PCR, RT/q-PCR, molecular cloning, DNA libraries, DNA/RNA extractions from mammalian cell culture/mice/NHP are recommended.
- Hands-on experience with NGS amplicon sequencing is recommended.
- Experience working with viral vectors is recommended.
- Python programmingskills for NGS data analysis is recommended.
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture is recommended.
- Open to learning new skills and techniques as needed to succeed in the assigned tasks.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and collaborate with cross-functional research teams.
- Good interpersonal as well as scientific communication and written skills for presentations and record maintenance.
- PhD with 0-2 years orBS/ MS with 6+ years of hands-on experience doing laboratory work in molecular biology or relevant biological sciences.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More