Scientist 1 / 2, AAV Capsid Library - Gene Therapy Research
Location:San Rafael, California
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
The Scientist will work on time-sensitive AAV capsid library projects within a large team, using knowledge of molecular biology, recombinant DNA engineering and next generation sequencing. The Scientist must have a strong background in molecular biology, restriction enzyme digestion, ligase-dependent and/or ligase-independent plasmid construction, design and the use and analysis of plasmid barcodes, nucleic acid isolation and quantification from animal tissues and cells (RNA and DNA) and NGS analysis. The Scientist must also possess experience with equipment including PCR thermocyclers, gel electrophoresis, bacterial incubators, automated DNA isolation equipment, microcentrifuges, low and high-speed centrifuges, spectrophotometric plate reader, qPCR and/or ddPCR equipment, and NGS sequencers.
- Experience in AAV gene therapy
- One year of experience as a post-doctoral fellow or research scientist in a relevant scientific discipline, including AAV capsid library generation, production, transduction and analysis
- Ability to work effectively on team-projects. Strong collaboration & communication skills
- Work productively on concurrent projects with strong decision-making and trouble-shooting skills (agility).
- Design & construct bar-coded AAV capsid peptide-display library plasmids for vector library production
- Quantitate plasmid library and vector library complexity using next-generation sequencing (amplicon-sequencing)
- Isolate high-quality nucleic acids from primary tissues/cells (RNA/DNA) after in vivo and in vitro transduction.
- Employ next-generation sequencing to characterization biodistribution and expression of novel capsid library variants following in vitro or in vivo screening
Ph.D degree (or foreign-equivalent) in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Virology, or other closely-related fields, in addition to relevant hands-on laboratory experience in AAV gene therapy.
Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated
Scientific Level Differentiation:
- Scientist 1: PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
- Scientist 2: PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More