Scientist II / Senior Scientist I, Purification and Analytical Characterization of Gene Therapy Vectors
Location:San Rafael, California
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Genetics Research and Delivery group is seeking a Scientist-II/ Senior Scientist-I to lead the efforts for purification and analytical characterization of gene therapy vectors. The candidate is expected to work with multidisciplinary and cross-matrix teams of scientists/research associates, and fulfill recurring deadlines to provide gene therapy vectors for ex-vivo and in vivo studies. The candidate is expected to work on discovery stage research projects, communicate the progress of the projects at internal and external meetings, and represent the functional group or project teams at senior management meetings. Candidate may manage the work of research associates.
• Graduate degree in Biological Sciences is required
• Experience in biotech setting, and working in matrix organizational structure is essential
• Experience in purification of native proteins is essential, gene therapy vector purification is highly desirable.
• Experience in purification spanning the small (~20 ml) and large scale (~50-100 L) is essential
• Candidate must be strongly proficient in purification techniques and instruments such as AKTA Pure/ AKTA Avant and Unicorn Software.
• Candidate must be strongly proficient in analytical characterization of protein therapeutics using IEX-HPLC and RP-HPLC, spectroscopy, Octet, SEC-MALS and CE.
• Candidate is expected to be fastidious about record keeping
Education & Experience per level:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
Sr. Scientist 1:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 5+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More