Product Supply Chain Owner - Associate DirectorLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
Associate Director, Product Supply Chain Owner
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Product Supply Chain Owner (PSCO) is accountable for designing and implementing best-in-class supply chains, seamlessly connecting patients to our medicines. The PSCO is a matrix leader, responsible for leading cross-functional Product Supply Chain partner team. The PSCO is a member of one or more Chemical, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) product teams, with accountability to ensure that a compliant, robust, and resilient supply chain has been configured in alignment with the product strategy for their assigned product.
Product Supply Chain Owner builds resilience and secures supply of quality product to patients by working with their sub-team members and key stakeholders to establish and optimize supply chain for clinical and commercial products. Product Supply Chain Owner drives strategies that result in optimizing product and network strategies. They are accountable for supply chain configuration (flow of goods, SKU strategy and inventory strategy), business continuity plans, supply chain efficiency plans, and supply chain agility plans to accurate product costing (including development of standard costs) ensure assigned product(s) meet program objectives. When an actionable risk of patient level stock out is identified, the Product Supply Chain Owner leads mitigation, including the supply assessment that is the basis of the Global Issue Management evaluation and decision-making relative to notification of Regulatory Agencies.
Key interfaces include
- CMC team members
- Supply Planning
- Demand Planning
- Clinical Supply Chain Operations
- Commercial &Clinical Operations
- Manufacturing & Material Operations
- Procurement & Category Management
- Enterprise Master Data Management
- Legal, Tax, Product Costing and Finance
- Logistics (Cold Chain, Warehouse & Distribution)
- Product Development & Formulation
- Packaging Development&Validation
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Global Trade Compliance
- Quality Control & Quality Assurance
- Qualified Person and Responsible Person
- Product Artwork & Launch Management
Product Supply Chain Owner is a matrix leader, responsible for leading cross-functional teams of 10-15 functional leaders, who are responsible for executing product supply chain strategies within their functions. PSCO provides coaching and development to team members on product and supply chain requirements for their products. PSCO measures performance of team members to achieve deliverables and provide feedback to functional management on team member’s overall performance and development needs.
Must have: Minimum Requirements:
- BS/B.Sc., preferably in the life science, engineering, supply chain or business administration
- Minimum 6 years of materials management, production planning and scheduling experience
- Minimum4 years GMP/GCP compliant Pharmaceutical operations experience
- Minimum 2 years management experience.
- Strong supply chain management acumen
- Subject-matter expertise in ERP systems, preferably Oracle or SAP
- Good understanding of Pharmaceutical industry (regulatory environment, GMP and ICH Guidelines)
- Strong risk management analysis and project management skills
- Effective ability to educate and lead through influence management, team members and cross-functional peers.
- Effective executive level communication (oral, and written)
- Ability to operate globally, across different time-zones, work with global and regional functions.
- Strong ability to make risk-based decisions and escalate to executive management when appropriate.
- Ability to understand the big picture and focus or execute the details to deliver product strategies; strategic thinker with operative capabilities
- Ability to understand impact of unique issues from multiple functional perspectives including Regulatory, Quality, Supply Chain, and Manufacturing to assess best options
- Business process thinker. Drives for continuous improvement of business process to achieve product strategies.
- Provides coaching and manages work activities for projects and teams.
- Can accommodate required international travel
Nice to have:
-MBA, preferably in supply chain management, finance or business operations
-APICS certification or equivalent supply chain certification
-Lean-DMAIC expertise, preferably Green Belt Certified or higher
-Project management certification, PMP or equivalent.
-Biopharmaceutical and/or Gene & Cell Therapy operations experience
-Strong finance and business acumen
-Strong regulatory and GMP acumen, specifically ICH Q8-12
-Matrix leadership experience. Experience managing global, multicultural, multi-functional and remote teams in a matrix organization