Medical Director, Cardiology- Discovery MedicineLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin is a world leader in delivering therapeutics providing significant benefit to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. BioMarin is engaged in the discovery, translation and development of therapies that correct severe pathologic mechanisms and produce meaningful endpoints for clinically relevant improvements in diseases. We therefore seek to discover and develop medicines that profoundly improve the quality of patients’ lives.
BioMarin’s Discovery Medicine is a group of physician-scientists that support pipeline advancement and growth into clinical development. As an early clinical development function, our group of ‘scientific’ clinicians link research initiatives and technical assessments to areas of development based on fundamental understanding of genetics, molecular mechanisms, disease phenotypes and medical need in specific patient populations. We seek a cardiology-trained physician-scientist to support the early clinical development of a broad portfolio of programs in genetic heart diseases.
- Align mechanistic information with development goals based on genetics, therapeutic approach, technical likelihood of success and medical need
- Identify high value therapeutic targets for genetic cardiac diseases and contribute clinical expertise to groups involved in disease mapping and pipeline strategy
- Subject matter expertise in genetic cardiology by keeping current with literature, meetings, and disease pipeline
- Work with Research, Innovation Accelerator and Business Development to facilitate clinical diligence of new development opportunities
- Participate in scientific advisory boards convened by BioMarin to support the research initiatives in cardiac genetics
- Leadership role in nominating, prioritizing and advancing research stage programs
- Early clinical development representation at cross-functional teams
- Generate development plans, draft product characterization, first-in-human and proof of concept trial strategy, draft clinical development plans
- Author biomarker and endpoint strategy for clinical development
- Early clinical representative in investigative new drug (IND) filing team
- MD or MD/PhD required
- Strong record of basic and/or translational research productivity
- Solid foundation and interest in molecular and population genetics
- Board certified or eligible in adult or pediatric cardiology
- Effective at building alliances across functions, based on end-to-end drug development thinking and experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, able to drive collaborations across a matrixed organization
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.