Manager, Technical Accounting & Internal ControlsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after more than two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the Company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.
BioMarin has several commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The Company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall Company and is developing into a cutting-edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity. The Company has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders. BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California. In 2019, BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.7 billion. For the six months ended June 30, 2020 BioMarin’s product revenues totaled $932 million
JOB TITLE: Manager, Technical Accounting & Internal Controls
The Manager will be primarily responsible for accurate and timely accounting and financial reporting for the global derivative portfolio, including coordination of month-end close for foreign exchange hedge accounting activities. The Manager will report to the Associate Director, Technical Accounting & Internal Controls and will closely collaborate with many global BioMarin teams including the Regional accounting teams, Treasury and Corporate Tax. The Manager will also play a key role in the planning, scoping, documenting and testing for the Company’s SOX 404 compliance program. This role will also be involved in leading continuous improvement opportunities and ad hoc technical accounting projects/analyses.
The successful candidate must be able to effectively communicate information (conceptual, technical & operational), foster relationships across the organization, and demonstrate strong analytical skills with a solution-oriented mindset.
- Coordinate and lead monthly close for the periodic valuation and accounting for the Company’s derivatives portfolio.
- Manage the integrity of data in the derivative reporting databases.
- Coordinate the production of monthly reports, accounting journal entries and internal management reporting (including trending of financial results) as it relates to the Company’s derivatives portfolio.
- Prepare schedules to support hedging & derivative disclosures for the Company’s SEC filings
- Manage relationships and assist regional personnel in understanding the derivative reports and journal entries provided by the team.
- Oversee the reconciliation of derivative valuations and accounting balances on the general ledger.
- Determine the accounting and reporting implications of new risk management strategies in accordance with US GAAP.
- Support both internal and external audits.
- Support the planning, implementation, coordination and execution of the Company’s SOX compliance program, including supporting the Company’s outsourced service provider in executing the Company’s audit of internal controls.
- Identify, develop and implement process improvements and efficiencies.
- Provide technical accounting support as needed by performing research, analysis and assessments of accounting issues to arrive at well-reasoned conclusions.
- Participate in the development of accounting policies.
- Support the accounting department on special projects and activities, as needed.
- 5-8 years previous experience in a finance or accounting position
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required
- CPA, CFA or MBA preferred
- Derivative valuation and/or hedge accounting experience
- Ability to work independently
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to teamwork and partnerships
A mixture of both Public Accounting and Industry experience would be a distinct advantage. Large company experience is also desired. Familiarity with interest rate and foreign exchange derivatives including options/forwards. Experience with Capella Software a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. Certified Public Accountant or equivalent is desired.
Regional Accounting teams, Treasury, Corporate Tax, Internal and External Auditors and other BioMarin Departments.
SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITY: None
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.