Manager, Technical Accounting & Internal ControlsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after more than two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the Company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.
BioMarin has several commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The Company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall Company and is developing into a cutting-edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity. The Company has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders. BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California. In 2019, BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.7 billion. For the nine months ended September 30, 2020 BioMarin’s product revenues totaled $1.4 billion
JOB TITLE: Manager, Internal Controls & Technical Accounting
The Manager will be primarily responsible for managing the planning, scoping, documenting and testing for the Company’s SOX 404 compliance program, as well as identifying and leading continuous improvement opportunities as it relates to the Company’s key SOX processes. In addition, the Manager will also be responsible for performing the accounting, reporting, research and analysis around certain technical accounting areas. The Manager will also participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of accounting policies.
The Manager will report to the Associate Director, Technical Accounting & Internal Controls and will closely collaborate with many global BioMarin teams including the Regional accounting teams, Treasury and Corporate Tax.
The successful candidate must be able to effectively communicate information (conceptual, technical & operational) with all levels within the organization, foster relationships across the organization, and demonstrate strong analytical skills with a solution-oriented mindset. The Candidate will have the ability to multi-task, work independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and collaborate with peers. The Candidate must possess a strong desire to learn and develop new skills while providing enhancements to the current SOX 404 program. Strong organization and analytical skills, as well as attention to detail are essential.
- Manage the planning, implementation, coordination and execution of the Company’s SOX compliance program, including the review of the Company’s outsourced service provider’s scoping and risk assessment, participating in walkthroughs and identifying and validating key controls to support the service provider’s execution of the Company’s audit of internal controls.
- Evaluate control deficiencies and recommend improvements related to the Company’s key controls;
- Work in partnership with members across the Finance organization to identify, develop, implement and present process enhancements and efficiencies.
- Determine the accounting and reporting implications of new risk management strategies in accordance with US GAAP.
- Support both internal and external audits.
- Provide technical accounting support by performing research, analysis and assessments of accounting issues to arrive at well-reasoned conclusions, particularly for treasury-related areas, such as derivatives and hedge accounting, as well as revenue recognition.
- Coordinate the accounting, internal management reporting (including trending of financial results) and external disclosures as it relates to the Company’s hedging and derivatives portfolio.
- Partner with members of the Regional Accounting teams and Treasury to ensure unusual and or nonroutine transactions are understood, properly recorded and disclosed appropriately on the Company’s financial statements.
- Prepare memorandums that document technical accounting or SOX issues in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner;
- Participate in the development of accounting policies and advise on operational changes arising from new GAAP accounting standards.
- Support the accounting department on special projects and activities, as needed.
- 5-8 years previous experience in a finance or accounting position
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required
- CPA, CFA or MBA preferred
- Strong attention to detail, decision-making, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills;
- Experience with all aspects of auditing a Company’s internal controls over financial reporting, including risk assessment and evaluation of control deviations required.
- Experience with accounting rules governing accounting for derivatives/hedging, debt and investments, as well as revenue recognition a plus;
- Ability to research and propose resolutions on complex accounting issues
- Excellent Excel spreadsheet skills including financial modeling, accounting system and proficiency with other Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.); Oracle/Hyperion and reporting and Capella experience a plus;
- Ability to work independently
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to teamwork and partnerships
A mixture of both Public Accounting and Industry experience would be a distinct advantage. Large company experience is also desired.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. Certified Public Accountant or equivalent is desired.
Regional Accounting teams, Treasury, Corporate Tax, Internal and External Auditors and other BioMarin Departments.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.