Manager, SEC Reporting and Technical AccountingLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after almost two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the Company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.
BioMarin has several commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The Company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall Company and is developing into a cutting-edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity. The Company has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders. BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California. In 2019, BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.7 billion. For the six months ended June 30, 2020 BioMarin’s product revenues totaled $932 million.
JOB TITLE: Manager, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting
The Manager SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting will report into the Associate Director Technical Accounting & SEC Reporting and participate in the preparation of all external financial statements and compliance reporting. The Manager must remain current on new GAAP pronouncements and SEC regulations as they are released and assess the impact to the Company. The Manager is responsible for ensuring compliance with internal controls over various aspects of the financial reporting process and filings with the SEC and other regulatory bodies. The Manager will also participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of accounting policies.
The successful candidate will be a good communicator and be able to effectively interact with all levels within the Finance and our Legal department as well as cross functionally in order to understand the Company’s business operations and their potential disclosure implications. The Candidate will have the ability to multi-task, work independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and collaborate with peers. The Candidate must possess a strong desire to learn and develop new skills while providing enhancements to the current financial reporting function. Strong organization and analytical skills, as well as attention to detail are essential.
- Draft disclosures for assigned areas of the Company’s SEC filings (10-K, 10-Q, Proxy);
- Performing quality review procedures of the Company’s Quarterly and Annual Reports, Earnings Release and Proxy;
- Working in partnership with other members of the SEC Reporting team to manage comments from Senior Management, Legal Counsel and external auditors to ensure timely filings;
- Review support schedules submitted by Regional Accounting used to draft disclosures included in our SEC Filings (e.g., footnotes, MD&A, business overview updates);
- Continuously work to enhance and streamline reporting processes and controls;
- Participate in the development of accounting policies and advise on operational changes arising from new GAAP accounting standards and SEC rules;
- Provide interpretation of GAAP and SEC regulations and assess the potential effect on BioMarin’s business;
- Research and analyze non-routine transactions and or technical accounting issues to arrive at well-reasoned conclusions;
- Prepare technical memorandums that document issues in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner;
- Ensure clear and concise written documentation of accounting conclusions is maintained and liaising with external accountants and internal business partners (e.g., FP&A, legal, business development etc.) to communicate impact to business;
- Liaising with members of the Corporate Consolidation and Regional Accounting teams to ensure unusual and or nonroutine transactions are understood and properly recorded;
- Help establish and work within timelines for financial statement preparation, and work collaboratively with various business partners to ensure such timelines are met;
- Adapt to non-routine and fast paced environment;
- Provide strategic analysis of financial data and ad hoc financial reporting, as needed; and
- Other projects and activities as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years of experience. Public accounting experience with a national accounting firm (Big 4 preferred);
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required;
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles;
- Strong attention to detail, decision-making, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills;
- Strong technical accounting and research skills are required;
- Experience with accounting rules governing consolidation, variable interest entities, equity method accounting, accounting for strategic investments a plus;
- Excellent Excel spreadsheet skills including financial modeling, accounting system and proficiency with other Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.); Oracle/Hyperion reporting experience a plus;
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize reporting and other management systems and tools;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Close attention to detail at all times; and
- Experience in preparing SEC financial filings for a public company, including use of SEC filing platform, such as Workiva a plus
A mixture of both Public Accounting and Industry experience would be a distinct advantage. Computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point and computerized G/L and financial reporting systems.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. CPA or equivalent experience required.
Regional Accounting teams, Treasury, Corporate Tax, Internal and External Auditors and other BioMarin Departments.
SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITY: None
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.