Manager, Real Estate Business OperationsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin’s Corporate Real Estate & Workplace (CREW) team handles real estate planning and design, space assignment, moves, and occupancy management of BioMarin facilities. Our work includes strategic planning to identify siting, master planning, design oversight, space acquisition and site development, and the planning and management of the real estate portfolio to optimize asset utilization. We work closely with BioMarin colleagues across the entire organization in providing space to accommodate our rapid growth, and we work at a high level to determine how and where we will use space, and at the tactical level to ensure the business needs regarding space and workplace are fully met in project execution.
The Manager, Real Estate Business Operations will be responsible for managing the business aspects of BioMarin’s real estate/facility portfolio. The position works closely with Facilities Operations, which manages the physical elements of the real estate/facility portfolio, and also with Legal and other functions within CREW (Corporate Real Estate & Workplace), which manages the planning of real estate as well as the occupancy of real estate. A successful candidate will be able to translate the high-level strategies developed by CREW and business processes across BioMarin into a tactical understanding and execution of the business functions related to real estate/facilities.
- Work with internal corporate counsel and external brokerage(s) to navigate acquisition process, as driven by business need and directed by leadership
- Support and/or coordination of lease negotiations, letters of intent, amendments, renewals, etc.
- Ensure timeliness of acquisition process, adhering to timelines as necessary to support the business
- Work with stakeholders spanning other arenas (e.g. legal, accounting, facilities operations, security, etc.) to ensure smooth transitions from a business operations standpoint relating to any real estate acquisitions and divestitures
- Oversee and coordinate lease administration systems, and become the go-to internal person for data related to BioMarin leased and owned facilities
- Develop and maintain comprehensive databases related to real estate/facilities spanning multiple areas of focus which may include the following:
- Overall facilities portfolio makeup (owned and leased)
- Historic (trailing) OpEx costs (by building, by square footage, by seat, etc.)
- Historic CapEx costs for real estate (e.g. construction costs for past projects by square foot, by seat, etc.)
- Ensure ongoing business functions related to real estate/facilities are managed seamlessly (e.g. coordination of rental payments with internal accounts payable team)
- Develop reports, presentations, etc. using MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as necessary to illustrate information/data related to real estate business operations
- Interact with teams across GEFS (Global Engineering & Facilities Services), including Real Estate Strategic Planning, Capital Projects Management, and Facilities Operations to fully understand and align with future visions and current conditions
- Balance the creation/maintenance of a positive visible outward brand for CREW (Corporate Real Estate & Workplace)) across all of BioMarin
Required Skills & Expectations:
- 3-5 years of experience in a real estate business operations role or related function
- Demonstrated understanding of real estate and facilities concepts and terminology
- Comfort navigating between ambiguous concepts and concrete plans
- Ability to create and update intermediate to advanced level spreadsheets
- Ability to manage and handle sensitive information relating to project cost reports, facilities planning, etc.
- Ability to build consensus and trust and communicate effectively
- Demonstrated self-motivator and proactive in managing teams spanning multiple functions
- Creative problem and interpersonal skills
- Proven teamwork orientation and skills
- Model best practices in relation to BMRN standards
- Supports team building and development activities
- Must have exceptionally strong organizational skills
- Must have advanced level computer skills: Internet navigation, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Adobe Acrobat
- Proven ability to manage multiple, fast moving priorities
- Experience engaging with teams spanning varied backgrounds and functions
- Proven ability to be a self-starter
- Experience using CAFM systems
- Experience in managing or negotiating leases or other real estate agreements
- Agility in coordinating with teams virtually across multiple international geographic locations
- Understanding of biotech concepts and terminology
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, with significant coursework in business, real estate, engineering, or related fields.
- Primary work tools are personal computers and mini-notebooks and related peripheral devices (printers, bar code scanner).
- Position requires regular interaction with external parties such as contractors, architects, engineers, consultants, vendors, etc.
- Position requires regular interaction with internal parties such as Capital Project Management, Facilities & Engineering, Legal, Finance, EHS&S (Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability), Maintenance, Purchasing, Technical Operations and Project Managers, etc.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position may entail direct supervision of consultants and contractors as required.
- The employee must have the ability to perform moderate physical activity.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee must have the ability to perform complex tasks with attention to detail.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.