Manager, Computational Science ApplicationsLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin IM Business Solutions team seeks a highly talented and motivated Manager Computational Science Applications to support BioMarin’s research and data sciences teams. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to partner closely with both IT professionals and scientists from multiple groups across the organization. She/he will play a key role in evaluating, designing, developing and maintaining software systems and supporting analytics pipelines for scientific projects. A strong candidate will have a successful track record implementing, maintaining, and/or working with shared data science or bioinformatics platforms and scientific workflow systems in cloud Linux ecosystems. Experience with pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical fields would be a plus.
BioMarin is a high-performing, team-based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. Applicants must bring a high level of initiative, energy and motivation to the role and have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Contribute to the development and on-going support of informatics applications with the overall goal of delivering new capabilities to scientists.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and IT partners to define requirements; and develop efficient, well-engineered platforms.
- Develop and communicate SOPs and best practices for computational research and data management and aid in their application within a variety of scientific domains.
- Evaluate and deliver emerging technologies for scientific projects and future initiatives.
- Establish and maintain application roadmaps to provide multi-year planning and application lifecycle management.
- Accountable for Total Cost of Ownership and Value Delivered metrics associated with Computational Sciences Applications.
- Champion the use of workflow, cloud, and automation technologies within scientific domains.
- Assist in authoring of System Development Life Cycle (SDLC), supporting documentation, and tests.
- Maintain and manage systems under documented Change Control.
- Build and optimize application support models with clearly defined business and IT responsibilities.
- Collaborate with system platforms teams to manage and maintain existing scientific applications.
- Prioritize and coordinate with external contractors for development of specific projects or components.
- Possibly assist with off-hours monthly maintenance patching, updating, and testing, activities related to scientific and analytical applications or similar systems.
- Located in San Rafael, United States and will require up to 10% travel.
- 5+ years’ work experience and a BS in computer science, informatics, or software engineering field.
- Experience supporting interactive data science platforms such as RStudio or Jupyter in a shared environment.
- Experience working with and supporting informatics and data science SaaS solutions such as DNAnexus and AWS SageMaker in a scientific domain.
- Experience working with bioinformatics, or data sciences domains with broad software libraries and applications (e.g., mass spec analysis software or microscopy analysis suites).
- Experience applying software engineering best practices to scientific software.
- Experience working with in a Linux/Unix command line environment.
- Experience working with HPC schedulers (e.g. SLURM) or other workflow management approaches.
- Familiarity with shell scripting and development operations (DevOps) practices preferred.
- Experience working with SAS, Jupyter, or RStudio server environments.
- Prior experience working in a validated or GxP environment is a plus.
- A strong communicator who can speak effectively to scientific, technical, and non-technical audiences.
- Able to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality, technical rigor and detail.
- Software testing, performance profiling, or workflow optimization experience is a plus.
Minimum B.S. or greater in Computer Science, Engineering, Life Sciences or a related technical field with prior work experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.