Intern - Statistical GeneticsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Human Genetics Department at BioMarin is currently offering an internship opportunity for a student in genetics or computational sciences to join its Statistical Genetics Team. The successful candidate will work with us to develop computational tools to identify new drug targets based on large datasets of human genetic and phenotypic variation.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree in Genetics/Bioinformatics/Computer Science or in a related field of study with minimum of first year completed
- Competency in a programming language (ideally Python or R), general knowledge of biology/genetics, and familiarity with basic statistical modeling techniques
- The ideal candidate will have experience in machine learning, modern statistical genetic methods, or human physiology and diseases
- An ability to document independently performed work and also communicate ideas or findings with the group
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a weekeither in person and/or remotely
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.