Intern - Medical CommunicationsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Medical Communications Summer Intern will assist in several projects focused on the dissemination of scientific and clinical data to healthcare providers at Scientific Congresses and Symposiums and in peer-reviewed journals. This position will assist the Global Medical Communication team in Global Medical Affairs within the Development Sciences group. Key functions will include assistance with execution of publication development activities, conducting systematic literature reviews, and development of key materials for presentation at scientific congresses. Time management skills, attention to detail, and learning to master complex software will be among the skills acquired during this training.
- Learn how to use Datavision, the Medical Communications department’s chosen publication management software
- Support management of publications and publication planning strategy across multiple therapeutic areas
- Understand the internal and external review and approval process for publications
- Become familiar with the multistep process for coordinating authorship input, review and approval in publication development
- Learn the process for submitting abstracts and manuscripts for peer-review and presentation/publication
- Become acquainted with conducting systematic literature analyses and assist with reference retrieval needed to develop scientific messaging and publication strategy
- Learn how to categorize the publications in Datavision, entering them into the system and linking them to medical objectives and supporting communication points.
- Learn how to develop scientific messaging and conduct gap analyses, and how this process underpins publication strategy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required, experience with Graphpad desired
- Ability to rapidly master new software programs and platforms (e.g. Datavision, MS Teams)
- Ability to perform many tasks under tight deadlines and maintain attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience conducting literature searches is desirable
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with experienced colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.