Intern-Medical CommunicationsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
Medical Communications Summer Intern JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Medical Communications Summer Intern will assist in a number of projects focused on the dissemination of scientific and clinical data to healthcare providers at Scientific Congresses and Symposiums and in peer reviewed published journals. This position will assist the Global Medical Communication team in Medical Affairs within the Development Sciences group. Key functions include assistance with execution of publication development activities, conduction of systematic literature reviews, and development of key congress materials. Time management skills, attention to detail and learning to master complex software are skills acquired during this training.
- Learn how to use Datavision, the Medical Communications department’s publication management software
- Support management of publications and publication planning strategy across multiple therapeutic areas
- Understand the internal and external review process for publications
- Become familiar with all steps needed with coordinating authorship input in publication development
- Learn the steps needed to submit abstracts and manuscripts for peer-review and publication
- Become acquainted with conducting systematic literature analyses and assist with reference retrieval needed to develop scientific messaging and publication strategy
- Learn how to categorize the publications in Datavision, entering them into the system and link them to medical objectives and supporting communication points.
- Learn how to develop scientific messaging and how this supports publication strategy with gap analysesQualifications/Eligibility:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree underway in a scientific discipline including pharmaceutical science
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Ability to rapidly master new software programs
- Ability to perform many tasks under tight deadlines and maintain attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience conducting literature searches is desirable
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.