Intern, Legal DepartmentLocation San Rafael, California Apply
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Legal Department’s summer intern will be exposed to a wide variety of areas of the law and will work closely with in-house attorneys and other professionals in a fast-paced, high-volume legal department. The intern will also interact with a wide range of BioMarin functional groups, including Business Development, Commercial, Development Sciences, Finance, Human Resources, Corporate Real Estate, Technical Operations, and IT. The Legal Department’s summer intern will:
- learn how to spot legal issues and perform basic legal research on topics such as informed consent requirements, domestic and international clinical trials, pharmaceutical labeling, employment laws and employee relations, contracting, real estate transactions, land use, and privacy law issues;
- assist with tasks pertaining to corporate governance and SEC requirements, licensing requirements, government contracting requirements, and commercial (sales) operations issues; and
- attend meetings and obtain understanding of legal issues confronting BioMarin and the biotech industry at large.
- Successful college student with an interest in pursuing a legal career. Must have an interest in learning about BioMarin’s different legal functions, including in the areas of corporate governance, litigation, products liability, contracts, real estate, and employment law.
- Ability to assist with risk assessments of proposed actions based on the law and detail impact on BioMarin to Legal department colleagues and internal clients.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Proofreading and editing skills.
- PowerPoint, Excel and legal research skills a plus.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Learn what it is like to be an in house attorney at a pharmaceutical company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community