Intern-Information ManagementLocation San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The research informatics summer intern will work as part of an interdisciplinary team focused on the development of in-house tools to enable the analysis of large genomic and health record datasets. The team aims create web-based tools allowing researchers to easily interrogate very large datasets using modern bioinformatics, cloud, and big data technologies. Key activities will focus on data management, automation of analysis workflows, and communication of results to scientists. Specific subprojects can be tailored to meet the applicant’s specific skills and interests.
- Experience in web design/development and data presentation
- Experience working with Linux, the command line, and/or the use of cloud and distributed computing technologies
- Comfort working and communicating in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, collaborative research environment
- Working knowledge or enthusiasm to learn about biology/genetics and computing in the life sciences
- Experience with HAIL, Spark, or Hadoop preferred
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.