Intern, Functional GenomicsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to acquire valuable experience, while gaining insight into research and development within the industry. We are seeking a highly motivated, innovative and team-oriented intern to join the functional genomics research group. The successful candidate will utilize the latest technologies to advance our therapeutic research and discovery efforts. The summer research intern will work on a project that will support a program within the research pipeline and involve the use of molecular biology technologies to assess genomic functions in vitro.
- Utilize molecular biology techniques to construct plasmid DNA vectors. Purify plasmids and analyze using Sanger sequencing, Bioanalyzer, Nanodrop
- Maintain cell cultures and utilize gene editing to study genomic functions (e.g., CRISPR, RT-qPCR, reporter assays, FACS analysis)
- Utilize data management software such as Excel, Prism, and computational analysis of genomic sequencing data using Python scripts
- Organizational and communication skills, time management, dependability and the ability to work as a collaborative team member
- Pursing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Molecular/Cell Biology, Genomics, Bioengineering, or related discipline.
- At a minimum, the candidate should be enrolled in their second (sophomore) year of undergraduate study at the time of application. Preference will be given to candidates with lab experience.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.