Intern - BioinformaticsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Human Genetics Department at BioMarin is currently offering an internship opportunity for a student in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology to join its Bioinformatics Team. The successful candidate will be actively engaged in mining the human genetics and genomics data by leveraging machine learning approaches, especially deep learning.
The successful candidate will be an individual who enjoys team work, organized and a self-starter who is very keen in gaining experience in cutting-edge technologies to find a cure for patients in a pharma industry setting. The key roles will be to design and develop machine learning models, and train and test them with genetics and genomics data for specific tasks which will help prioritize therapeutic targets.
- Pursuing a Bachelors or Master’s or PhD degree in Biology/life sciences/Genetics/Bioinformatics or in a related field of study with minimum of first year completed
- Prior experience in machine learning, deep learning, DNA sequence feature extraction and familiarity with RNA-seq and other genomics data
- Proficiency in Python, R, big data analytics and HPC computing is preferred
- Comfort and enthusiasm in exploratory biology/therapeutic target prioritization and
- Efficient scientific communication skills in a highly dynamic and collaborative matrix organizationand in internal department meetingsand familiarity with scientific report writings
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.