Intern, Accounting; North American ControllershipLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
THIS ROLE IS OPEN TO HYBRID at the San Rafael, CA campus AND/OR VIRTUAL PRESENCE
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The North America Controllership plays a vital role at BioMarin, managing the overall accounting for the North America region. The team works cross-functionally to support the organization, working with both internal and external partners to provide quantitative financial information to management, lenders, investors, and other stakeholders.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, North America Controllership, the Accounting Intern, North America Controllership will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience by working collaboratively within an enthusiastic global finance team that strives to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders.
The BioMarin North America Controllership team is seeking a summer accounting intern with an interest in learning about accounting and who desires to achieve a meaningful experience in the accounting and finance profession. The accounting intern will be responsible for performing monthly/quarterly close functions, including journal entries, account reconciliations, and variance analysis. Additionally, the accounting intern will focus on leading/supporting key initiatives in support of BioMarin’s and the Controllership objectives, including Key Performance Indicator (KPI) development, tracking, and reporting, and developing/testing system enhancements. This role will work across other BioMarin Finance teams, including FP&A, Accounts Payable, Information Management, as well as with our Business Partners in the Research & Development, Technical Operations, Corporate and Commercial functions. In addition to providing meaningful contributions to the North America Controllership, the internship will provide an opportunity to learn more about the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Satisfactory completion of introductory accounting courses and a basic understanding of accounting and financial principles.
- Hard working with a desire to learn
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a continuous improvement mindset
- Undergraduate Student pursing a degree in: Business, Finance, Economics and/or Accounting
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
- Housing and transportation is the responsibility of the Intern.
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop skills specific to your major
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.