BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Project Manager position is a key role within Global Project Management for experienced life sciences project managers with advanced communication and relationship building capabilities. The PM has demonstrated advanced application of project management skills and is beginning to demonstrate leadership competence on more complex and important studies and projects that require a greater degree of cross functional influence.
Include therapeutic area content here if applicable.
The Project Manager will be responsible for project management activities supporting key cross functional teams (i.e.- Clinical Development Team (CDT), Study Team, etc.,) to ensure efficient team function and the achievement of key deliverables such as operational plans, timelines, budget, risk and issue management.
Following demonstrated success in the role, the PM may have the opportunity to manage multiple complex projects or studies with a higher degree of independence, and contribute significantly to Clinical Development Planning.
- May collaborate with Team Leaders to enable team development and follow-through of the Clinical Development Plan (e.g., partnering with, and gaining cross-functional alignment on, CDP deliverables) and/or Protocol execution plans.
- Facilitate team development and management of Program Risk Mitigation Plan ensuring execution and alignment of risk mitigation efforts.
- Build, maintain and control the cross functional timeline for the execution of Clinical Development Plan and/or protocol execution - highlight dependencies, milestones, deliverables, and critical path; create timeline scenarios as needed and facilitate cross-functional reviews.
- Identify and leverage interdependencies in short-, mid-, and long-term project and study plans.
- Collaborate with Study Team Leader to bring perspectives and decisions of the Study Team back to the CDT, as well as escalate issues identified by the study team to the CDT.
- Provides the broader CDT perspective and communication to the Study Team as needed to set context for the Study Team and the particular study being conducted.
- Ensure functions are tracking to key deliverable and milestone timelines.
- Advocate and drive for overall project execution quality – Propose, facilitate and implement plans to resolve issues and execute corrective actions.
- Organize and facilitate CDT meetings in collaboration with the CDT Leader (CDTL) and/or Study Team Leader (STL) - develop meeting agendas, issue meeting minutes, and track action items to completion with cross-functional Leads.
- Collaborate with the CDTL and/or STL to ensure all team members read, understand and execute their roles according to the team Charters.
- In collaboration with team leads, identify, communicate and escalate program-wide Study Team interdependencies, issues, perspectives and key decisions to both project and study teams as appropriate.
- Communicate objectives, plans and timelines to the CDT and Study Teams.
- Ensure execution of actions based on metrics and vendor issues.
- Contribute to and facilitate the development of appropriate metrics for the study team.
- Lead ad-hoc working groups that result from CDT and Study Teams’ needs.
- Develop and manage steering committee meetings or clinical advisory boards in collaboration with Clinical Science.
- Work with Team Leaders to coordinate cross-functional activities from data generation through clinical study report development in collaboration with Biometrics, Clinical Medical Writing and other functions.
- In conjunction with Center of Operational Excellence/Process Improvement (COE), coordinate conducting Lessons Learned initiatives for the CDT, Study Teams or ad-hoc cross-functional teams.
- BA/BS in a scientific or technical field. Experience in lieu of education accepted.
- Minimum of 4-8 years total relevant experience (including industry, project management, or academia), with at least 2-4 years in a project management role. CAPM or comparable certification a plus.
- 0-2 years of experience in people management.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.