Technology ArchitectLocation San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This role requires an individual with a strong technical background architecting and administering enterprise Information Security firewall solutions. This is a “hands-on” role that will have responsibility for architecting and maintaining firewall and related systems required to maintain BioMarin’s Information Security posture for Internet-edge and internal network security, as well as participating in security incident response and remediation.
BioMarin primarily uses firewall technology from Palo Alto Networks and Cisco Systems.
The Firewall Architect will report to the Manager of Network Architecture and Administration and will be based in BioMarin’s Northern California offices.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Primary architect for all firewall configurations and upgrades.
- Coordinates closely with the CyberSecurity team to make sure that the firewall architecture is
- consistent with the practices and policies defined by the CyberSecurity team.
- Responsible for lifecycle management, coordinating upgrades, and ensuring policies are
- consistently applied and documented.
- Manages ongoing compliance with best practices for firewall security policies.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other teams, both in and out of IT, to make sure good
- Information Security practices are designed and followed.
- Establish and publish periodic (e.g., monthly) reports on performance, reliability, and
- Performs regular firewall audits to verify compliance with best practices.
- Responsible for managing the relationship with the firewall vendors, contract renewals, and
- strategic partners who provide operational support.
- Provides day-to-day operational support for firewalls and associated management systems.
- Extensive expertise (5+ years) with architecting and deploying Palo Alto firewall systems and
- processes, including:
- Global Protect and PrismaAccess VPN
- Expert knowledge of networking concepts and technologies – analyzing traffic, troubleshooting
- layer 2/3 issues, dynamic routing, etc..
- Expert knowledge of security processes and practices related to firewall configuration, system
- hardening, and security management.
- Expert knowledge of Information Security principles and incident response.
- Experience with network access control implementation and management.
- Strong knowledge of Cisco Systems ASA/Firepower.
Education and Other Professional Qualification Requirements:
- Provide a high standard of customer service and follow-through for support requests and
- Highly effective communicator, with experience communicating complex security items to a
- non-technical audience.
- Ability to support a 24x7x365 operation, including participation in monthly maintenance
- patching and updating activities.
- Bachelor's degree in information systems, or equivalent work experience.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or equivalent security-related
- certification a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.