Executive Director, Scientific Communications & Engagement, SSCPLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Reporting to the Group Vice President Worldwide Research and Development (WWRD) Strategy, Scientific Collaborations and Policy, the Executive Director, Scientific Communications & Engagement will partner with key stakeholders within WWRD, as well as PPD, Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, Government Affairs, and Commercial to ensure broad and impactful scientific messaging is considered and integrated in communication and engagement strategy.
- Develops and implements scientific communications and engagement plan in collaboration with key internal stakeholders to drive a deep understanding of BioMarin’s unique scientific approach, inclusive of pipeline and R&D / discovery and development functions
- In collaboration with key internal stakeholders, translates the high-science focus and expertise of BioMarin into activations to reach broad audiences, including scientists & researchers, media, investors & analysts, professional advocates, patient advocates, key opinion leaders, and policy influencers
- Creates integrated high-science engagements in partnership with communications, marketing, and business strategy to educate on signature elements of BioMarin’s discovery and development approach
- Support the effort to Communicate and set context for key clinical and R&D milestones, setting stage for transition to commercial teams and regulatory findings
- Positioning BioMarin and BioMarin’s leadership as industry leading experts across written, speaking and digital activations
- Ideating and creating new ways to visualize scientific narrative, R&D story
- Supporting connection of the R&D story to business priorities, results for both company, employees and patients
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- An advanced degree in a scientific discipline combined with experience in biotech enterprise communications is required.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience.
- Proven experience in pharma R&D, related science communication or public affairs is required.
- Current or past work experience in R&D is preferred.
- A confident yet agile personality, the ability to move fast is required.
- Ability to manage internal and external networks in a matrixed environment is required.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of R&D processes and the global landscape and key issues for biopharmaceutical science and innovation is required.
- Strong experience in crisis/issues management and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, global matrix environment is required.
- Deep understanding of scientific media, digital and social platforms is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.