Executive Director, Global Commercial Lead, PKU/ERT, Global Product StrategyLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This a new and elevated role within an evolved commercial operating model. The individual will be a key member of the leadership team for the newly created Global Product Strategy function, within BioMarin’s Global Commercial Operations, whose remit is to expand and strengthen global brands and commercial capabilities. Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Executive Director, Global Commercial Lead is accountable for creating the integrated commercial strategy for the metabolic therapeutic area including PKU (PALYNZIQ and KUVAN Brands for Phenylketonuria) and ERTs (Enzyme Replacement Therapy brands NAGLAZYME for MPS VI, VIMIZIM for MPS IVA and BRINEURA for CLN2). This individual will utilize their industry experience to make sound business decisions to ensure that all key commercial opportunities across brands are identified and acted upon. This position is a critical commercial leadership role with strong opportunity for future advancement.
This role will have a high degree of visibility across commercial leadership, local and regional partners, and functional leadership outside of commercial; and will play a key role in implementing a new commercial operating model and elevating the role of Commercial and our Brands within the organization.
This individual must have a history of highly effective commercial leadership, with the ability to lead decision making, build trust, align diverse teams and perspectives, and inspire a winning culture. The position will lead commercial decision-making and global, cross-functional strategic alignment. S/he will lead the global Integrated Brand Teams (PKU and ERTs) with representation from Strategic Markets, Regions, Value and Access, Medical Affairs, Worldwide R&D, Supply Chain, and other key stakeholders to develop a cohesive, insights-based global brand strategy across the product life cycle. This individual will lead and mentor a team of talented marketers, working closely with strategic markets and regions to optimize brand performance and partner with Worldwide R&D, Medical Affairs, Value and Access, and Product Portfolio Development to identify, prioritize and guide evidence generation activities and lifecycle management.
The successful leader will be a dynamic, experienced individual with a strong track record of Commercial strategy and team leadership across a variety of settings in the pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical industry. S/he must have the proven ability to effectively manage complex and ambiguous projects, influence across stakeholder groups, effectively network across the organization and communicate with senior leaders all within a fast moving, challenging and dynamic environment.
- Lead Integrated Brand Teams for PKU and ERTs, instilling a high sense of accountability and performance within the team while role modeling a growth mindset.
- Collaborate with key cross-functional partners (Global Medical Affairs, Global Value and Access, Worldwide R&D and Product Portfolio Development) to develop a cohesive, insights-driven brand strategy co-created by and meeting the needs of BioMarin’s strategic markets, balancing both near-term and long- term priorities
- Deliver & ensure consistent branding, positioning, and messaging platforms across markets
- Monitor pricing and reimbursement dynamics across markets and partnering with the Global Value, Access and Strategic Pricing team to develop recommendations that address market opportunities and challenges
- Embed an increasingly digital/omnichannel mindset, partnering with the Digital Transformation and Marketing Excellence teams to enhance digital strategy and internal capabilities that improve customer reach and influence in the marketplace
- Effectively partner with Supply Chain to ensure supply planning and readiness
- Develop, track, assess and align organization around key brand performance metrics
Product Development and Lifecycle
- Guide development of lifecycle strategy to expand patient population and reach, specifically in PKU
- Effectively partner with Worldwide R&D, Medical Affairs, Regulatory, Value and Access, Product Portfolio Development, Strategic Markets and Regions to provide input into product development, label optimization, evidence generation, lifecycle decisions, formulation and dosing enhancements that support commercial strategy and lifecycle management investments
- Provide strategic thinking to allow for identification of future market opportunities, partnering with New Product Commercialization and Business Development to identify internal and external development/partnership opportunities
- Demonstrate strong external focus by active engagement with key stakeholders including Key Opinion Leaders and Patient Advocacy Groups
- Develop brand specific investor relations messaging
- Ensure commercial perspective and strategy is well articulated and communicated across the organization
- Lead/represent global commercial point of view with senior executives and governance committees
- Leverage knowledge of the current and future market to provide insights for forecasting, strategic and corporate planning
Leadership and Talent Development
- Active contributor and member of Global Product Strategy leadership team
- Attract, develop, and retain high performing talent
- Build vibrant team culture and shape next generation of commercial leaders
- Be an ambassador for Global Product Strategy and embedding of BioMarin’s new commercial model
- BA/BS in Business or Life Sciences (MBA preferred)
- 15+ years of professional marketing experience in biotechnology or pharmaceuticals
- Strong track record of commercial leadership in both country (major country) and Global/above-country roles with demonstrated ability working with in-country and regional partners
- In-line marketing experience with senior brand responsibility and people management in dynamic and innovative therapeutic areas
- Working knowledge and understanding of multiple major pharmaceutical markets
- Strong understanding of market access and medical strategy
- Exceptional strategic thinking and analytical skills, ability to master complexity and integrate insights into strategies and actions
- Exceptional executive presence and strong communication skills, ability to work with senior leaders
- Proven track record of leadership success interacting at all levels of a matrix organizations cross-functionally and cross-geography
- Strong sense of accountability and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic and high-pressure environment, flexible and adaptable to a changing environment
- Ability to manage multiple demands and priorities on time, lead teams, gain alignment and drive decision making
- Self-starter who demonstrates energy and enthusiasm, bringing a positive solution-oriented approach to challenges
- A passion for improving patient and business outcomes
- Ability to travel 25% of time (domestic and international)
- Track record of developing lifecycle management plans and providing commercial input into clinical development programs
- Experience planning and executing at least one global product launch
- Experience in competitive therapeutic areas and markets
- Experience in market access and sales a plus
- Prior experience embedding commercial transformation a plus
- Rare disease experience a plus, but not necessary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 248,000 to $ 372,000 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.