BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
- Provide technical expertise in Epidemiology to develop and maintain a Real World Evidence strategy to support products from clinical development through licensing, market access, and lifecycle management. Specific activities include:
- Participates in new drug development programs as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the areas of Real World Evidence & Epidemiology
- Evaluation and monitoring of literature in therapy area as well as advancements in Epidemiology methods and policy/acceptance of Real World Evidence by regulators/payors
- Critically appraise existing epidemiology evidence and create new evidence through delivery of specific research protocols and analysis of healthcare databases and prospective burden of illness studies
- Improve disease understanding relevant to the target patient population: incidence, prevalence, risk factors, natural history disease course, burden of illness, treatment patterns, co-morbidities, co-medications, outcomes measures, phenotypes, biomarkers and unmet need, and their variations across demographics and geographies
- Support post marketing activities: Conduct of post marketing post authorization safety studies and post marketing effectiveness studies/registries, epidemiology studies for safety signal detection, evaluation of risk mitigation strategies
- Develop strong partnerships with internal stakeholders in a multi-disciplinary framework (Market Access, Medical Affairs, Clinical Development and Commercial functions) to support Real World Evidence needs
- Develop and negotiate research plans with external collaborators in academia or contract research organizations and work effectively to oversee external groups through the research process
- Effectively communicate study findings to an internal and external audience base
- Extend a track record of external publications in peer review journals and international congresses
- Develop SOPs, guidelines, and templates to support conduct of Real World Evidence and Epidemiology studies
- Demonstrated experience conducting pharmaco-epidemiologic research within or in support of the pharmaceutical industry
- Self motivated with the ability to work independently to develop credibility with colleagues, as well as interact effectively in multi-disciplinary matrix teams
- Experience in collaborating with research partners
- Ability to work well in a business-driven environment, balance priorities and handle multiple tasks through careful planning, stakeholder management, project administration, and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate scientific evidence to peers and at scientific meetings
- Record of high quality, peer reviewed epidemiology or outcomes research publications preferred.
- Experience in the epidemiology of rare diseases or genetic epidemiology a benefit
A combination of academic training and practical experience in epidemiology is required. This may consist of:
- Doctoral degree (PhD, ScD, or DrPH) or Master’s of Public Health in Epidemiology (MPH) (Preferred)
- Clinical degree (ie. Medicine, pharmacy, nursing) and a master degree in Epidemiology with at least 5 years of experience leading epidemiologic research
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (ie. Health services research, health outcomes research, public health, statistics, or pharmaceutical sciences) with at least 5 years of experience leading epidemiologic research
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.