EHS&S Specialist I (TEMPORARY)Location San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
- Supports EHS&S training programs and record maintenance, including acting as an eLMS administrator for US emergency response program and other EHS&S trainings.
- Supports EHS&S compliance record maintenance, including but not limited to US medical surveillance program and associated files
- Acts as an intranet page administrator and supports updating and maintaining EHS&S intranet pages.
- Acts in an administrator role in the EHS&S Information Management System (Intelex) and may assist in data migration and maintenance.
- Sustains US building evacuation program including annual drills.
- Supports US Region compliance and operational requirements and projects
- Supports global EHS&S governance processes and initiatives including but not limited to the emergency response steering committee.
- Interacts with internal business functions including Global Security, Business Continuity, NEFS, GEFS, and CREW on issues pertaining to emergency management.
- Acts as part of the on-site emergency response team at the San Rafael Campus, and may act as part of emergency response teams (BERT, MRT, EET) at Novato Campus and/or Brisbane location, based on company needs.
- May support other EHS&S US Region functional areas as needed.
- Maintains appropriate electronic/hard copy files for all responsibilities, and is adept at navigating our various sharepoint and MS Teams sites.
- Keeps supervisor informed. Completes all required training on time.
Personal competencies required:
- Customer focus: dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Planning: sets objectives/goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules; accurately scopes out projects and resource needs.
- Decision-making: makes sound decisions within the scope of their role. Uses appropriate judgement in escalating issues or questions to supervisor. Self-directed within role; recognizes and acts on opportunities without being asked.
- Agility: can change direction comfortably when needed; can effectively cope with change; can decide and act within the scope of their role without having the total picture.
- Organizing: can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal.
- Leadership: gains the trust and support of peers; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; can successfully collaborate and influence to complete assigned tasks.
- Creativity: has a continuous improvement mindset; can see and suggest opportunities for improving processes or tasks. Can develop and implement process improvements within the scope of their role.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a business, science or engineering-related field (minimum requirement)
- 24-hr or 40-hr HAZWOPER certified desirable
- Targeted training programs or professional certificates in an EHS-related or project management discipline are also desirable.
Required experience is dependent upon previously attained education level:
- 3-5 years experience with undergraduate degree. Prior experience working in EHS&S in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry is desirable.
- Requires comprehensive understanding of office software; prior experience with electronic learning management systems and EHS&S management systems is desirable.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Frequent long durations in home office and onsite office/cubicle environment.
- Occasional visits to construction sites, manufacturing areas, laboratories, and utility areas.
- Occasional long durations of walking, sitting, standing and kneeling.
- Occasional/as-needed response to emergency/disruptive events, which could involve work outside of normal business hours.
- Frequent listening, writing, and public speaking in small and large groups.
Occasional need for climbing, crawling, and lifting up to 20 pounds.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.